[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there're only 2 factions

Diego Renato diego.renato at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 06:28:50 PDT 2007

2007/8/23, heitzig-j at web.de <heitzig-j at web.de>:

> > I dislike any undeterministic method, except for tie-braking
>
> And I dislike methods that give all power to only one half of the voters
> and can be used to oppress 49% of the electorate :-)

In most societies, the "majority dictatorship" is not a major problem
because electors' preferences shift along time, and the 49% can became the
majoritarian faction in the next elections.

In divided societies for ethnic, cultural or religious system, where
consensus is desirable, proprotional representation for legislatures and
supermajoritarian methods for single-winner elections (as for head of state
in many parliamentary republics) are better than probabilistic methods.