[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there're only 2 factions

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Aug 22 14:29:46 PDT 2007

At 02:55 AM 8/22/2007, Jobst Heitzig wrote:
>A common situation: 2 factions & 1 good compromise.
>
>The goal: Make sure the compromise wins.

Simple. I'm in charge. I dictate and sign the election result.

Oh! You want a democratic election method!

>The problem: One of the 2 factions has a majority.
>
>A concrete example: true ratings are
>    55 voters: A 100, C 80, B 0
>    45 voters: B 100, C 80, A 0

"True ratings," I've been pointing out, is not clear in meaning.
These ratings are obviously normalized, so they are not absolute
ratings, and therefore we cannot tell what the SU winner would be.
But if we assume that the "swing" is the same for all voters, and
that the utilities are such that, say, a tax bid method would show
those utilities, we do have a clear compromise winner.

>THE CHALLENGE: FIND A METHOD THAT WILL ELECT THE COMPROMISE (C)!
>
>The fine-print: voters are selfish and will vote strategically...

The method, of course, is a Range method. Ranked methods cannot
detect the compromise winner, who, incidentally, violates the
Majority and Condorcet Criteria.

However, Range does not convert the Moon into a big green cheese.

Let's assume that this is a full-knowledge election of a certain
kind. The voters know at the outset the utilities of all the voters.

I have suggested Range with preference-triggered runoff. If the
voters voted sincerely, there would be a runoff between A and C. The
fact that a runoff occurs lessens the tendency that the voters would
bullet vote, a tendency that would be otherwise strong.

(What election method would elect C if the voters decide to bullet
vote, if they -- or the majority of them -- refuse to acknowledge
their relatively high opinion of B? Voting with taxes might do it,
which is an incentive to vote true utilities.)

>Good luck & have fun :-)

Now, suppose this were Range with preference runoff. This pattern, if
voted, would trigger such a runoff.

The choice is now between A and C. As the conditions have been
defined, the A voters will simply choose their preference.

But wait a minute! That is a weak preference, whereas the B voters
now have a very strong preference. Range is no help, because both
sets of voters would bullet vote, the B voters quite sincerely, and
the A voters simply expressing their preference, which is normal.
Unless, of course, there is a cost to voting that way, such as a tax
you bid and pay if you win.

But this has largely been overlooked. If this is a public election,
and people are going to the polls for a runoff -- which means that no
other election is on the ballot -- turnout is normally low. The two
groups, however, are now quite asymmmetrical in motivation to vote,
the A supporters are only slightly motivated, whereas the B voters
have high motivation.

So if there is a runoff, there is a very good chance that C will win.

However, this thinking may cause them to bullet vote in the original
Range election. I'll point out, however, that if you have a majority
so selfish as to be willing to take a huge overall hit in the degree
to which elected officials enjoy broad support, in order to gain a
small personal benefit, you have a society which is already in deep
trouble. Frankly, I don't think that under current conditions and any
that I can imagine, people are *that* selfish. Mostly, I think, in
Range+PW, if we call it that, they would vote sincerely. The runoff
would be held, which would test the preference strengths.

(And, contrary to the assumptions, most people will *change* their
preference if they understand that others have strong preferences
compared to their own weak ones. We are social animals. So, again, if
the utilities given were accurate, and the electorate now knows this,
there is even more force toward C winning. A voters will change their
vote, and B voters will not, plus many A voters will abstain whereas
B voters will be highly motivated to turn out and vote. If I lived in
this society, I certainly would not be betting on A. If I were, I
would also be buying a ticket out with my winnings. This society
would be headed for major disaster, on the Ruanda scale. -- and if I
lost the bet, I'd breathe a huge sigh of relief.)