[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there're only 2 factions

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Wed Aug 22 12:43:20 PDT 2007

(temporarily exiting lurk mode since this one grabbed my attention)

I don't think it's possible, assuming the voters know what other voters'
preferences are, and that they know that the other voters have the same
information and will also vote optimally.

The 55% in the first group will know that candidate B will never win,
period.  So they have no incentive to compromise.  Since they don't have to
worry about B, their only motivation is to make sure A, not C, wins, and any
deterministic system will allow them to do just that.

Howard's suggestion, that you prevent them from knowing other's preferences,
is the only way it could select C.  But that is unrealistic and inherently
unstable in the real world.

-rob