[Election-Methods] Fwd: RE : Corrected "strategy in Condorcet" section, Chris

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 20 18:59:11 PDT 2007

Kevin Venzke wrote:

>Chris,
>
>Chris writes [regarding NWL]:
>

>>For a two-round method that is certainly something simple and "intuitive"
>>

>that improves on standard
>

>>plurality TTR.  I assume the details are "in first round vote for oneas
>>

>favourite and approve as many
>

>>as you like. FPW wins with FP score of 50% or more. Otherwisequalifiers
>>

>are FPW and most approved
>

>>alternative candidate. (Of course "favourite" also counts as"approved").
>>

>Actually, if I remember correctly I considered this to be a fully ranked
>method. You could specify more than one first preference.

I was referring to the 2-round version (with relatively simple ballots).
With these rules in a 2-round version
there would be no point in ballots that allow voters to do more than
indicate first preference and approval.

In your single- round version with ballots that allow full ranking, are
equal-first preferences split or whole?

>>For method that uses ranked ballots either in one round or in the firstof
>>

>two rounds, I prefer "elect the winner
>

>>of the pairwise comparison between the IRV (Strict) winner and the Approval
>>

>winner".   That wouldn't have a
>

>>clone problem, supporters of weak candidates would have no
>>

>"favourite betrayal" incentive, and it would meet
>

>>Majority for Solid Coalitions and Dominant Mutual Third.
>>

>I wonder if this method doesn't have a similar problem as NWL.

It probably does. In the 49A, 24B, 27C>B scenario the A supporters can
shift the win from B to A by voting A>C
making C the AW.

Chris Benham