[Election-Methods] Improved Approval Runoff

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Sat Aug 18 17:35:19 PDT 2007

> Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:23:19 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Kevin Venzke
> Subject: [Election-Methods] RE :  Improved Approval Runoff

> --- Diego Renato <diego.renato at gmail.com> a ?crit?:
> > 3) If not, that candidate runs a second round against other candidate -
> > the
> > most approved after a new count which the votes for the first one are
> > reweighted to 1/2.

> The difference is that Chris' suggestion doesn't have rule #2, and in
> rule #3 the reweight is to 0.

> [With a reweight of 0 a] concern [is] that if you approve your compromise
> candidate, who ends up being the most approved, you can weaken your votes
> for your favorite candidate and cause him to fail to qualify for the
> second round.

The ideal way to sort out this concern would be have the reweighting be
1 instead of 0.  However, having a reweighting of 1 means that a faction
could get a turkey candidate into the second round, as Chris has pointed
out.  The compromise between a reweighting of 0 and 1 is 1/2!
Personally, I agree with dropping rule #2 but would keep the reweighting
at 1/2.

Thanks,
Gervase.