[Election-Methods] RE : Improved Approval Runoff

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Aug 18 11:23:19 PDT 2007

Hi,

--- Diego Renato <diego.renato at gmail.com> a écrit :
> This system, called Improved Approval Runoff (IAR), has the goal to
> resist
> bullet voting through simple ballots.

> 1) On the first round, the voter can vote for as many or as few
> candidates
> as desired.
> 2) If some candidate has more than 50% of approvals, the most approved is
> elected.
> 3) If not, that candidate runs a second round against other candidate -
> the
> most approved after a new count which the votes for the first one are
> reweighted to 1/2.
> 4) The winner is the candidate who receives a majority of votes on the
> second round.

It occurs to me that this method is very similar to the method Chris
recently brought up in a response to me. (I can't see Chris' posts unless
they are forwarded to me, so perhaps this was already noticed.)

The difference is that Chris' suggestion doesn't have rule #2, and in
rule #3 the reweight is to 0.

So with respect to incentive to bullet-vote... Rule #2 seems to hurt the
situation compared to under Chris' method.

I have the same general concern that if you approve your compromise
candidate, who ends up being the most approved, you can weaken your votes
for your favorite candidate and cause him to fail to qualify for the
second round.

Kevin Venzke