[Election-Methods] Improved Approval Runoff

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 17:38:02 PDT 2007

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:00:59 -0300
> From: "Diego Renato"
> Subject: [Election-Methods] Improved Approval Runoff

> 1) On the first round, the voter can vote for as many or as few candidates
> as desired.
> 2) If some candidate has more than 50% of approvals, the most approved is
> elected.
> 3) If not, that candidate runs a second round against other candidate - the
> most approved after a new count which the votes for the first one are
> reweighted to 1/2.
> 4) The winner is the candidate who receives a majority of votes on the
> second round.

I did think of this idea awhile back, but it excluded step 2.  That is,
there will always be a second round (just to make sure?...)

Rightly or wrongly, I dismissed the idea because it was really just a
variation of Sequential PAV ('Proportional' Approval Voting).  That is,
the ballots who voted for the winner in the first round is halved.

Thanks,
Gervase.