[Election-Methods] RE : Corrected "strategy in Condorcet" section

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 13 12:21:18 PDT 2007

Kevin Venzke wrote:

>I suggest this two-round method. It's not Condorcet-efficient or even
>rank ballot but I think it would be an improvement, and it's quite simple:
>
>In the first round you vote FOR one candidate. You also vote AGAINST one
>candidate. If someone has more than half of the FOR votes, they are
>elected. If someone has more than half of the AGAINST votes, they are
>disqualified. Then the second round is between the two candidates with
>the most FOR votes who have not been disqualified.
>
>I think this is much better as a two-round method than a one-round rank
>method.

I think this uses an overly restrictive ballot  and would have horrible
clone problems and fails  Independence
from Irrelevant Ballots without very good justification.

I am sure that something that uses approval ballots in the first round
could be much better. A while ago I suggested
that the two qualifiers should be the  Approval winner and the candidate
with the most approval opposition to the
AW. How do you see your suggested method as being better than that?

Chris  Benham