[Election-Methods] response to Schudy re Range vs Approval voting

Peter Barath peb at freemail.hu
Tue Aug 7 14:52:26 PDT 2007

>*2. So for example, if
>49% voted Bush=99, Gore=0, Nader=53(avg), and
>49% voted Gore=99, Bush=0, Nader=53(avg), and
>2% voted Nader=99, Gore=20, Bush=0
>then Nader would win.
>
>This structure is a realistic possibility that totally contradicts
>the assertion RV
>"gives power to the candidate whose supporters
>have the most black and white, polarized view of the world."
>In this case, Nader is winning despite a severe lack of polarized
>Nader supporters.

Well, in this example Nader supporters were more "polarized"
than either Bush or Gore ones. Anyway, picked up examples
don't refute hypotheses about tendencies.

>*3. If we also add, say, Badnarik with scores not of 53 like for
>Nader, but rather, say, 20, then Badnarik would not win,
>but still would get a total range-voting
>score in the same ballpark as Bush, Gore, and Nader, thus permitting
>him to claim he has a lot of popular support, and thus allowing his
>party to try to get money and support for future elections.

I wouln't vote that way. If concerned with these smaller scores,
I would ask the question: will Badnarik get more or less points
than I think he deserves? If think: more, I would give him
0 points to lesser; if think: less, I would give him full
points to enhance.

>Note, it was an "immediate" bad effect that (above)
>Approval caused Nader to lose
>when Range vould have caused him to win.

Not necessarily. A lot of 53 percenters would approve him.

>In our study of the 2004 US election, we were not able
>to find any evidence that
>Bush voters were either more or less "polarized" and
>"strategically exaggerating"
>than Gore voters. (Perhaps they were, but if so the
>effect was too small for our
>statistics to see.)

In other words: yes, correlation between degree of
strategizing and political stance makes Bayesian regret
bigger. But we don't have reason to be afraid of big
correlations of that kind.

Peter Barath