[Election-Methods] Response to Schudy re Range vs Approval voting

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Aug 5 15:28:11 PDT 2007

At 05:41 PM 8/3/2007, Juho wrote:
>On Aug 2, 2007, at 16:38 , Warren Smith wrote:
>>If range voters max and min the two perceived-frontrunner
>>candidates, then they gain almost all the strategic advantages
>>of approval voting, while still allowing quite a lot
>>of honesty concerning other candidates.
>>

>>*2. So for example, if
>>49% voted Bush=99, Gore=0, Nader=53(avg), and
>>49% voted Gore=99, Bush=0, Nader=53(avg), and
>>2% voted Nader=99, Gore=20, Bush=0
>>then Nader would win.
>>
>>This structure is a realistic possibility that totally contradicts the
>>assertion RV
>>"gives power to the candidate whose supporters
>>have the most black and white, polarized view of the world."
>>In this case, Nader is winning despite a severe lack of polarized
>>Nader supporters.
>
>How about other strategic opportunities like 10 Gore supporters
>giving Nader 0 points (instead of 53) and thereby making their
>favourite (Gore) the winner?

That Range gives Nader an opportunity doesn't guarantee Nader a win? Should it?

In this case, we have an *average* vote from the
Bush and Gore supporters, both, of 53%. The Nader
supporters voted quite strongly for Nader -- 20%
for Gore is quite a weak vote, given how strongly
both the Repubs and Dems supported Nader. Already.

Note that the scenario described quite probably
already has "10" Gore voters doing that. Probably
quite a bit more than ten! I think Juho missed
that the Nader votes were averages.

Most election methods would give this election to
Gore, period. Gore is the Condorcet winner. But
Nader is arguably the best winner. In a situation
like this, I'd trigger a runoff between Gore and Bush.

This constant argument that Range gives too much
power to extreme voters is truly bizarre. Rather,
what has actually happened here is that the
system gives Nader a chance. If enough voters
vote against him, ranking him equal last, which
is what was proposed, he's going to lose with
either Range or a Condorcet method. However, if I
had my 'druthers, with the winner, Gore, only
getting 49% of the first place votes, a runoff
might be a great idea. Who would win? You sure
can't tell from the data for sure.... Unless we
assume those are sincere and accurate expressions
of relative utility, in which case Nader has a chance.

Note that the Reps seem to prefer Nader, greatly,
to Gore. So I'd predict Nader would win.