[Election-Methods] Corrected "strategy in Condorcet" section

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 14:41:58 PDT 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 2:52 , Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> Range is not as good as full deliberative process, but it is much
> closer.

I'm not convinced that pushing Range voting when the society in
question is still in "competitive mode" automatically leads to
improvements in the society. I think use of Range as a poll (rather
than directly as a voting method) could be more efficient in making
the varying and rich opinion of people visible and thereby feeding
the deliberative process. I mean that if Range is used fully or
partly in Approval style, the information it carries through is
leaner and maybe coloured with strategic considerations. Poll type
Range of the other hand can be used for argumentation in the
deliberative discussions.

Rating based ballots that are used to derive ranking based ballots is
one option that may have additional value in a society that aims at
developing the deliberative process in new ways. Also the second
round where decision between Range and Condorcet winner is made may
add some value. In a competitive environment the majority may just
vote just as in the first round and typically not change the end
result. But the additional round of thinking and deliberation may be
useful anyway. Btw it may be as good or better to use Range+Condorcet
also at the second round. Picking two alternatives for the second
round may be limiting. And use of the same method shows the results
of the deliberative process. If you want to have a decisive vote at
the end, the theoretically cleanest approach might be to vote
potentially after every round if the outcome of that round should be
considered final (Range or Condorcet winner or even someone else as
derived from the votes or as proposed by the chairman) or if the
deliberative process should still continue (for one or more rounds in
election technical terms).

Juho