[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Tim Hull timhull2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:02:08 PDT 2007

MMP still enforces proportionality based on parties - as opposed to STV's
non-party based method.
That is somewhat undesirable, and does make the legislature more party
rather than individual-based.
Also, it creates situations such as the rule I heard they use in New Zealand
whereby if you switch parties, you
have to resign Parliament (after all, your seat is tied to your party).  For
that reason, it seems like
STV is ideal for PR - it gives us the benefits of PR without eliminating
district representation or enforcing party lines
and party discipline.

Regarding IRV, I do know it isn't ideal.  In fact, if someone can show me
it's necessarily worse than plurality, I'd just stick
with plurality in single-winner and use STV in multi-winner.  However, I'm
hesitant to throw two new systems at a student government
relucant to even consider one - and I think many are in the same boat...
The idea of Condorcet with a threshold is interesting, though...

On this topic, does anyone know of a modified,
kind-of-Condorcet-but-not-quite method which preserves later-no-harm?  This
may be interesting as a starting point...