[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Howard Swerdfeger electorama.com at howard.swerdfeger.com
Wed Apr 25 08:41:15 PDT 2007

Tim Hull wrote:
> That's the answer to what would likely happen if Range voting were
> implemented anywhere of significance - cards like those used in Australia
> would appear telling voters how to vote.  Granted, it would probably happen
> under any preferential system, but in range it is almost guaranteed that
> bullet voting would be encouraged "except" by minor party candidates, which
> MAY recommend voting for major party candidates as well.
>
> Though I like the basic idea of range, I will say I have reconsidered
> somewhat when it comes to contentious elections.  In this case, I do see it
> degenerating into Approval really fast.  While Approval is a decent system
> (better than FPTP for sure), third parties would still have significant
> trouble breaking through (major parties will always bullet vote, and a
> large
> number of third-party supporters will vote for the major party as well). We
> may see "shifts" between one party being major and another being major from
> election to election as voting results start to demonstrate shifts in
> support and voters vote accordingly, but it seems like each election will
> continue to be a basically two-party competition in and of itself.
>
> In my mind, that leaves IRV and Condorcet as serious voting reform
> proposals.  While IRV isn't the best thing in the world (it can screw up
> when a new party becomes "major" in an election), it could help third
> parties with a solid coalition with a major party (i.e. nearly all
> Democrats

you might want to reconsider your position on IRV
as shown here:
http://zesty.ca/voting/sim/
it produces can produce some very dysfunctional results, and in some 4
party cases produces results that would be considered worse then plurality.

> vote Green #2, and all Greens vote Democrat #2).  It does suffer from the
> "center squeeze", though.  Condorcet, on the other hand, does not suffer
> from the center squeeze.  However, it suffers from the opposite problem -
> the so-called "Pro Wrestler" or "Loony" syndrome in an election with a
> couple polarized candidates and a weak centrist or joke candidate.  In my
> student government elections, I picture this being a candidate walking
> around campus in a clown suit and winning based on becoming everybody's #2.
> Also, Condorcet's later-no-harm failure may mean people give a less sincere
> ranking than in IRV, though this failure is far less so than in range.

This is a potential problem with all pure Condorcet methods.
It might be able to be overcome with some restrictions
Candidate must have >5% first preference votes or be one of the top 5
candidates in number of first preference votes.
Or some other restriction might help.

> However, PR still seems like the primary thing to shoot for - single winner
> elections really aren't any good in achieving better representation.  For
> that reason, I can see the logic of those pushing IRV with the intent of
> moving in a PR direction.  I will say that, given honest voters and an
> absence of "Loony" type candidates, Condorcet produces better results and
> seems better.  However, it is more complex - and is yet another system to
> discuss. I really think that STV should be the real goal, with IRV used in
> single-winner elections (when necessary) for consistency - party lists are
> rotten by comparison, and no other system has been tested and proven for
> multiwinner to the extent of STV.

I agree STV is a very good system, but a lot depends on the DM, I would
suggest 5-9 is a good DM.
closer to the 5 side if you expect lots of candidates
closer to the 9 side if you expect fewer.

While I agree party lists are "rotten".

there are lots of other multi winner PR systems, that don't require a
party list
MMP where the "top-up" comes from the best of the losers.