[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Tim Hull timhull2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 08:08:55 PDT 2007

That's the answer to what would likely happen if Range voting were
implemented anywhere of significance - cards like those used in Australia
would appear telling voters how to vote.  Granted, it would probably happen
under any preferential system, but in range it is almost guaranteed that
bullet voting would be encouraged "except" by minor party candidates, which
MAY recommend voting for major party candidates as well.

Though I like the basic idea of range, I will say I have reconsidered
somewhat when it comes to contentious elections.  In this case, I do see it
degenerating into Approval really fast.  While Approval is a decent system
(better than FPTP for sure), third parties would still have significant
trouble breaking through (major parties will always bullet vote, and a large
number of third-party supporters will vote for the major party as well). We
may see "shifts" between one party being major and another being major from
election to election as voting results start to demonstrate shifts in
support and voters vote accordingly, but it seems like each election will
continue to be a basically two-party competition in and of itself.

In my mind, that leaves IRV and Condorcet as serious voting reform
proposals.  While IRV isn't the best thing in the world (it can screw up
when a new party becomes "major" in an election), it could help third
parties with a solid coalition with a major party (i.e. nearly all Democrats
vote Green #2, and all Greens vote Democrat #2).  It does suffer from the
"center squeeze", though.  Condorcet, on the other hand, does not suffer
from the center squeeze.  However, it suffers from the opposite problem -
the so-called "Pro Wrestler" or "Loony" syndrome in an election with a
couple polarized candidates and a weak centrist or joke candidate.  In my
student government elections, I picture this being a candidate walking
around campus in a clown suit and winning based on becoming everybody's #2.
Also, Condorcet's later-no-harm failure may mean people give a less sincere
ranking than in IRV, though this failure is far less so than in range.

However, PR still seems like the primary thing to shoot for - single winner
elections really aren't any good in achieving better representation.  For
that reason, I can see the logic of those pushing IRV with the intent of
moving in a PR direction.  I will say that, given honest voters and an
absence of "Loony" type candidates, Condorcet produces better results and
seems better.  However, it is more complex - and is yet another system to
discuss. I really think that STV should be the real goal, with IRV used in
single-winner elections (when necessary) for consistency - party lists are
rotten by comparison, and no other system has been tested and proven for
multiwinner to the extent of STV.

Thus, I plan on moving in an IRV+STV direction as far as my reforms (with
multiwinner STV used for 70% of the seats on my student government i.e. all
of the multi-seat districts).

Tim