[EM] PR in student government

Tim Hull timhull2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:07:16 PDT 2007

Well, as far as I'm thinking, standard STV is already too complicated to
explain.  Introducing Meek/Warren would only make it more likely to fail
(this has to be voted on by the student government and the student body) due
to the added complexity of explaining them.  I don't even want to think of
such things as CPO-STV - trying to introduce that would surely spell the end
of any possibility of voting reform here.

I know the common idea behind explaining STV is "don't talk about the
counting too much".  However, I know this WILL NOT work in my case, because
we already have a ranked-ballot system in our modified Borda (where you only
rank as many candidates as there are open seats).  Thus, the counting is the
only difference - and convincing people to go from a simple (but dumb and
disproportional) point system to STV has been anything but easy as a
result.  I think that if we had at-large plurality it would be much simpler
to bring STV in - in fact, STV was actually used a long time ago (until the
1980s) at U-M but scrapped in favor of our current system due to
complexity...

Any suggestions?  I'm currently pushing the proportional aspect of the
system, as that seems to be the primary thing that sets it apart from the
status quo.  It's also the reason I see it as a big issue - elections have
been rather uncompetitive thanks for to the tendency for the establishment
to become entrenched...

Tim