[EM] PR in student government

Howard Swerdfeger electorama.com at howard.swerdfeger.com
Tue Apr 17 11:28:56 PDT 2007

> Any suggestions?  I'm currently pushing the proportional aspect of the
> system, as that seems to be the primary thing that sets it apart from the
> status quo.  It's also the reason I see it as a big issue - elections have
> been rather uncompetitive thanks for to the tendency for the establishment
> to become entrenched...

Again, I recommend a Regional Open List System.
It would be my second choice (behind STV) in therms of results given the
requirements you mentioned.
But it would be my first choice if one was to give more weight to
simplicity of counting and simplicity for the voter.

Ballot Would look something like this

---
Voting Instructions:
1. You only have ONE vote.
2. Place an X in the box NEXT to your candidate of choice.
3. Your vote counts both for your candidate and your party.

Party A	          Party B       Party C      Independent
[ ]Candidate1  [ ]Candidate1 [ ]Candidate1 [ ]Candidate1
[ ]Candidate2  [ ]Candidate2 [X]Candidate2
[ ]Candidate3  [ ]Candidate3 [ ]Candidate3
---

Seats would be allocated proportionally by party.
But the member of the party that gets each seat would be determined by
the number of votes the received.

PDF of a proposal for Regional Open List in Ontario
http://www.citizensassembly.gov.on.ca/documents/633004860208648190_Rice_RegionalPartyList_Final__0.pdf

Power Point summary of the above PDF
http://citizen2citizen.ca/sites/default/files/Rice_RegionalPartyList_Presentation.ppt

If on the other had you have your mind fixed on STV and are looking for
arguments in favour of STV and ways to convince the populace.
  * point out it is used at the national level in Ireland
  * It produces somewhat proportional results
  * It is candidate focused and not Party focused
  * It is more accountable, (elected members answer to 2 masters. The
party and his constituents.)
  * counting is easy and can be done with "off the shelf" Freedom
software packages.