[EM] RE : Re: RE : Re: Ranked Preferences, Range (Juho)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 22:20:09 PST 2006

Ok, agreed.

> Also, a poll (whose goal is to collect information) potentially has
> different requirements than an election (which aims to pick the
> winner).

I tried to define term "competitive" in another mail to make the
difference between polls and contentious elections (http://
lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2006-
October/018710.html).

I think there is a continuum between these two extremes. When
discussing Pizza preferences competitiveness=0.1. When deciding which
Pizza to buy competitiveness=0.4. When electing a president
competitiveness=0.8. When deciding who gets eliminated from a 1M$
competition in TV competitiveness=0.98.

Some election methods are robust enough so that competitiveness has
no big impact on them (typically all vote sincerely or according to
some basic well known strategy). Some election methods need low
competitiveness levels to work. Some election methods may change
their behaviour depending on the situation (the Ranked Preferences
try to do this a bit - stronger preferences can be used also for
defensive purposes - e.g. by voters who fear that the remaining
strategic vulnerabilities of Condorcet might harm them).

Juho Laatu

On Oct 31, 2006, at 17:33 , Kevin Venzke wrote:

> Juho,
>
> --- Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
>> On Oct 29, 2006, at 23:26 , Kevin Venzke wrote:
>>> So it seems to me that there are a couple of necessary conditions
>>> for Range to be a good method for decision-making:
>>> 1. that the vast majority of voters care about reaching a consensus
>>> result, and will not throw this priority out when they realize that
>>> voters can and will undermine this result in their own favor
>>> AND
>>> 2. that voters lack some other way of learning what the other voters