[EM] RE : Re: RE : Re: Ranked Preferences, Range (Juho)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 31 07:33:42 PST 2006

Juho,

--- Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
> On Oct 29, 2006, at 23:26 , Kevin Venzke wrote:
> > So it seems to me that there are a couple of necessary conditions
> > for Range to be a good method for decision-making:
> > 1. that the vast majority of voters care about reaching a consensus
> > result, and will not throw this priority out when they realize that
> > voters can and will undermine this result in their own favor
> > AND
> > 2. that voters lack some other way of learning what the other voters
> > want.
>
> Couldn't there be also some really friendly elections / polls where
> condition 2 is compromised but Range still works. E.g. "I already
> know what Adam and Bob think about this since I asked them, but it is
> still really interesting to see the total results of what ice cream
> flavour our group thinks is the best".

I'm not saying Range wouldn't work if voters are informed about the
other voters' preferences, just that in such a case it is not as
important for the voter to be able to moderate his own influence.

Also, a poll (whose goal is to collect information) potentially has
different requirements than an election (which aims to pick the winner).

Kevin Venzke