[EM] RE : Re: Ranked Preferences, Range

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 15:15:15 PST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 23:26 , Kevin Venzke wrote:
> So it seems to me that there are a couple of necessary conditions
> for Range to be a good method for decision-making:
> 1. that the vast majority of voters care about reaching a consensus
> result, and will not throw this priority out when they realize that
> voters can and will undermine this result in their own favor
> AND
> 2. that voters lack some other way of learning what the other voters
> want.

Couldn't there be also some really friendly elections / polls where
condition 2 is compromised but Range still works. E.g. "I already
know what Adam and Bob think about this since I asked them, but it is
still really interesting to see the total results of what ice cream
flavour our group thinks is the best".

Juho Laatu