[EM] IFNOP Method (was Re: Question about Condorcet methods)

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Mon Oct 23 06:02:00 PDT 2006

I wonder if this is sorta similar to a Borda count in terms of Clone independence.

 For example, if voters, A,B,C vote

 A: A>B>C1>C2
 B: B>C1>C2>A
 C: C1>C2>A>B

 A>B>C1>C2>A

 (Horizontal = first candidate)

 0 0 0 1
 1 0 0 0
 0 0 0 0
 0 0 1 0

 B>C1
 0 0 0 0
 1 0 0 1
 0 1 0 0
 0 0 0 0

 C1>C2
 0 0 0 0
 1 0 0 0
 0 1 0 0
 0 0 1 0

 C2>A
 0 0 0 1
 0 0 0 0
 0 1 0 0
 0 0 1 0

 The lowest ranked box is 4,4 and it is empty. The next lowest is (3,4) and (4,4)
 and only 3,4 has votes in it.

 C2>A, C1>C2 and A>B have pairs in that box. The only pair left is B>C1.
 Thus, B wins?

 I am not 100% sure if I have understood you method correctly. However, by
 weighting lower preferences lower, the C "Party" has reduced the weighting
 of A>B in ballot C and C2>A in ballot B. Without the first one, the votes
 become: