[EM] 3ballot - revolutionary new protocol for secure secret ballot elections

David Cary dcarysysb at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 16:58:35 PDT 2006

--- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:

> ps, As to privacy, I read of video-camera phones.  Their usage has
> to be tricky - can they verify a voter's actual vote as such
without
> voting machine operation being set up compatible with such?
>
> ps, quoting:  "I doubt there is a voting system in existence that
> is immune from enough vote verification to support vote buying or
> coercion" The lever machines I have been voting on all my life are
> immune, for they keep NONE of the records of interest.

If a voter wants to document how she voted, I was thinking in terms
of her taking a short video showing herself, the relevant details of
her marked ballot, and her casting that ballot as her vote.  Such
documentation can certainly be falsified or made to be deceptive.
But as long as for most people such countermeasures cost more in
time, effort, and expertise than they are worth, such documentation
is probably sufficient for a vote buying scheme. It could work
regardless of whether she was casting her ballot with pen and paper,
an electronic touch screen machine, or a mechanical voting machine.

I suppose a voting mechanism could be divised that would resist video
documentation, but I doubt it would be sufficiently usable for most
people.

-- Dave Cary