[EM] 3ballot - revolutionary new protocol for secure secret ballot elections

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Oct 13 02:50:42 PDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:58:35 -0700 (PDT) David Cary wrote:
  > --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:
  >

  >>ps, As to privacy, I read of video-camera phones.  Their usage has
  >>to be tricky - can they verify a voter's actual vote as such
  >
  > without
  >
  >>voting machine operation being set up compatible with such?
  >>
  >>ps, quoting:  "I doubt there is a voting system in existence that
  >>is immune from enough vote verification to support vote buying or
  >>coercion" The lever machines I have been voting on all my life are
  >>immune, for they keep NONE of the records of interest.

Some of us have only one hand, so normal tasks are required to be doable
with one hand.  Thus most of us have a free hand for the camera.  Still
tricky to keep the camera clearly focused on our own actions while doing a
task.

Task design should aim toward both keeping normal tasks easy, AND making
such aiming difficult.  Mix in making it difficult to learn from the video
record.

DWK

  > If a voter wants to document how she voted, I was thinking in terms
  > of her taking a short video showing herself, the relevant details of
  > her marked ballot, and her casting that ballot as her vote.  Such
  > documentation can certainly be falsified or made to be deceptive.
  > But as long as for most people such countermeasures cost more in
  > time, effort, and expertise than they are worth, such documentation
  > is probably sufficient for a vote buying scheme. It could work
  > regardless of whether she was casting her ballot with pen and paper,
  > an electronic touch screen machine, or a mechanical voting machine.
  >
  > I suppose a voting mechanism could be divised that would resist video
  > documentation, but I doubt it would be sufficiently usable for most
  > people.
  >
  > -- Dave Cary
                    If you want peace, work for justice.