[EM] Combatting the Burr dilemna

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Fri Nov 17 04:08:35 PST 2006

 From: watermark0n at yahoo.com
 > My proposal is rather simpler...
 >
 > Everyone will submit a normal approval or range ballot. However, a
 > runoff election will be held between the winner of this and everyone
 > whom at least 75% of the voters who approved of him also approved
 > of. In range extremities of opinion would be taken into account.
 > This really can't have any negative effects, and would be simialar > to having a political primary after the election, in a non-partisan > faction (I have a strong belief in non-partisanship, as I believe > parties simply manipulate electoral systems, and are inherently > corrupt). The runoff is limited in applications, but it is better
 > than the rather arbitrary top-two runoff used in many nations.

 I was originally thinking of something similar, where a candidate
 has to be in a voting pact that is approved by a majority.

 These pacts are determined based on the ballots after the election.

 Something like:

 Voters submit an approval, a "second round" ballot and a ranked
 ballot. (all votes on one ballot)

 A ballot counts as approving a pact if all candidates approved
 on the ballot are part of the pact.

 Repeat the following for each candidate staring from the most
 approved candidate to the least approved candidate.

 - Determine the winner of the current pact using the second round ballots.

 - Add the new candidate to the pact

 - determine the winner of the new pact, if it is the same and the pact already
 has majority approval, skip this candidate

 - use the ranked choices to determine if the new pact is preferred
 by comparing the winners of both pacts

 - only ballots that approve of one or the other pact are counted

 - the winner of that vote becomes the current pact

 If voters voted

 25: A1, A2 | A1>A2>B
 30: A2, A1 | A2>A1>B
 45: B | B

 The results would be

 A1: 55
 A2: 55
 B: 45

 Assume 1 A1 voter defected, then A1 would have been highest.

 Current pact: A1 -> A1 wins

 Attempt to add A2
 Pact: A1, A2 -> A2 wins (accepted)

 Attempt to add B
 Pact: A1, A2, B -> A2 wins (IRV) (skip)

 Result: A2 wins

 I think may suffer from alot of issues depending on how the intra pact voting
 works.
    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"