[EM] Combatting the Burr dilemna

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Nov 17 05:54:48 PST 2006

At 07:08 AM 11/17/2006, raphfrk at netscape.net wrote:
>I was originally thinking of something similar, where a candidate
>has to be in a voting pact that is approved by a majority.

A majority of what? By what means? Is it secret ballot? How is it
determined who can vote?

If voters, by a majority, decide to vote a certain way, does this
bind a minority to vote that way? I doubt it!

Yet the examples, consider, as performance on the promise, votes
showing that a majority would *not* have approved the pact, unless
possibly they wanted to deceive the majority.

Parties with secret ballot afterward, in real elections, resemble
Free Associations in that they have no power to enforce discipline on
the members. They can make decisions by majority vote -- this is what
parties actually do -- and then, if they have not considered the
minority, the minority simply ignores the party choice.