[EM] Majority Criterion, hidden contradictions

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Nov 9 21:17:28 PST 2006

At 05:08 PM 11/9/2006, Paul Kislanko wrote:
>Regarding:
>"Approval satisfies Majority rule, but not the Majority Criterion as
>interpreted."

>A majority of us VOTERS do not agree with the statement, even those of us
>who might or might not agree with the interpretation.

This is entirely unintelligible.

>It fails the absolute criterion, and a few of us voters notice that. We DO
>NOT CARE if you "interpret" the criterion differently than its unambiguous
>expression.

Apparently, Paul thinks that he speaks for "a majority of voters."

The question has never been asked.

It is odd that Paul disagrees with the statement. It should not be
controversial. Perhaps he has been confused by the discussion which
came before. The statement quoted above does not present an alternate
interpretation of the Majority Criterion, it assumes the standard
interpretation as has been explained here, and the statement
acknowledges the Majority Criterion is not satisfied in this way.

The essential statement here is the first clause.

Approval satisfies Majority Rule (at least more than other methods,
it can still elect a plurality winner assuming that the rules allow it).

What Majority Rule means is that a decision made by society has been
approved by a Majority. Under Robert's Rules, which are the basic,
default rules by which democracy generally functions, decisions are,
unless the rules provide otherwise, made by majority vote. That is,
the question, which should be a single question if possible, is
presented, and the Yes and No votes are compared, and if Yes
prevails, the choice is so made. If no prevails, *no* action is taken
from the motion, except that the status quo remains. Motions do not
present alternate actions and ask the voters to choose between them.
Rather, each action is presented separately and the voters vote Yes
or No on them.

The theoretical situations which are the cause of considering
Approval to fail the Majority Criterion involve more than one winner
who has obtained a majority of votes. Technically, this is not true,
by the way. The winner in Approval *always* has a plurality of votes.
What happens in Approval is that there can be more votes than voters,
and the Majority Criterion refers to voters, to a majority of voters,
not to a majority of votes.

Now, if there is an Approval loser who received a vote from a
majority of voters, then there must be a winner who received more
votes and this is why the loser lost.

It is a general principle, accepted in election law, that if
conflicting propositions in an election are both approved (majority
Yes), then the one with the most Yes votes wins.

This is exactly Approval Voting, requiring only that we interpret the
votes for candidates as answering Yes to the question, "Shall we
accept the election of this candidate." And those who did not vote
yes, but who did vote for someone else, are presumed as having voted No.

Approval is far more consistent with basic democratic process than is
any other method that I know of. But most people are not aware of the
general opinion among parliamentarians that plurality wins are
improper. It's worth reading Robert's Rules, the recent revision, on
the topic. The most democratic method of electing officers is to
present the names for Yes or No votes. Then they note the problem:
this can require many rounds. So a compromise is made, and full
democracy is sacrificed for expendiency.

Oddly, though, they do not seem to have realized that this can be
done on one ballot.

Range is a better method, to be sure, but not unless there is
explicit acceptance of the result by the electorate. To be fully
democratic, Range requires either a further step, or, what might be
an interesting twist, an explicit approval cutoff, where the voter
indicates the rating necessary for a candidate to be considered
adequate, i.e., accepted. This shows what are Yes votes and what are No votes.

And if there is not candidate with a majority Yes, then the
electorate has decided that, so far,

None of the Above.

And the office will remain with the status quo, perhaps, or will
remain vacant, until there is further process.

(If the current office-holder is on the ballot, and does not receive
majority approval as defined above, it could be considered an
explicit rejection, and I'd say that the candidate should be removed
from office. Law can and should provide caretaker provisions for
necessary ad-interim functioning of a critical office.)