[EM] RE : Re: Range voting, zero-info strategy simulation (raphfrk)

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Nov 1 11:15:26 PST 2006

At 10:52 AM 11/1/2006, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>I have seen more concern that voters
>will vote the opposite way: Commit to a favorite candidate and cut
>off any chance of even electing the second favorite.

It should be kept in mind that Approval is a practically no-cost
reform. It adds maybe half the value of Range Voting with *no* change
in voting machines, extra ballot space. And it remedies what has been
an injustice from the beginning, the tossing of overvoted ballots.
(Which is a little more justifiable because voters are supposed to
know that it is against the rules, though I think many don't really
understand that. If overvoting is allowed, you have Approval. Just
count all the votes. Nice slogan, eh?

Once you have Approval in place, people will want to express more.
And then it is possible to go to Range, or to ranked ballots. Range 3
would be an obvious step, the -1, 0, +1 scheme which has been suggested.

I think we really should be joining forces with the AV people,
because we *should* agree on the next step. Later, we can duke it
out, if we really want to fight for *our* way rather than theirs.

Given that Approval is generally admitted to be a Range method, i.e,
Range 2, we might not even need to change the name of the umbrella
organization, just make explicit that Range is a whole family of
methods. Including Approval, the simplest of all.

If people bullet-vote Approval, then we have, for them, what we have
now. Nothing has been damaged, rather the system has been approved
at, as far as I can see, no cost.

The *only* legitimate issue, as far as I can see, is campaign
finance. And splitting the money between approved candidates does
make sense, if vote counts determine financing. (It shouldn't, except
maybe to establish a threshold, and, if it does not determine the
*amount* of the subsidy, then there is no problem with the overvotes.
Overvotes, which really do represent public support of a candidate
receiving them (since they risk electing him or her), do no harm. But
I raise the issue because opponents will.)

There is *also* an apparent problem with CRV having fixed the Range
definition to include bells and whistles. This allows opponents to
argue against Range based on these rules, or on missing rules that
may appear necessary, and if one notes that the system can be easily
fixed by adding this or that rule, with respect to an anticipated
problem, they will say -- and it is being said by Chris -- but that
is not the definition, according to CRV. And is there any other authority?

"For our group purpose there is but one authority -- ... our group conscience."

Group conscience is deliberately not crisply defined in an FA. But it
is generally understood that the higher the level of consensus, the
more clear has been the expression of group conscience. Thus the RVFA
*can* effectively set up consensus definitions. It publishes them,
with the supporting votes and including minority reports. It remains
utterly even-handed, allowing even a single dissent to be expressed
in the full record. But if the approval of the standard is broad, it
can effectively be considered as having been fixed, at least for the present.

CRV can certainly have its own definition, and if we have not come to
agreement, I expect CRV to barge ahead. But the definition, if
possible, should come out of an emerging consensus. You really have
that when both supporters and opponents of Range Voting have
generally agreed upon a definition.

(When they don't, they are clearly not seeking genuine agreement,
when agreement is possible. There are exceptions to this, where a
word is firmly established in usage and people are heavily attached
to it. What is "marriage?")

I personally would keep Range to mean any method which sums the
votes, votes being chosen from a set of possible votes (linear
spacing?there is another possibility which would provide for fine
distinctions at the top and bottom, though possibly only the top
needs that) and which allows each candidate to receive ratings
independently of all other candidates. That's my first thought, I'm
sure Warren could nail it down.