[EM] IRV vs Condorcet - a challenge

Dan Bishop daniel-j-bishop at neo.tamu.edu
Mon Jun 12 21:36:45 PDT 2006

Dave Ketchum wrote:
>       Permitting equal ranking for multiple candidates.  Desirable for
> pleasing those who call Approval desirable; doable with Condorcet, though
> there can be arguments as to counting' Not doable as practical for IRV
> (explain how if you disagree).

Some simple ways of dealing with equal rankings in IRV/STV are:

(1) "Transferrable Cumulative Vote" - If there are N top-ranked
non-eliminated candidates on a ballot, then each candidate receives 1/N
of a vote.  (This is what I used in my STV-CLE calculator.)

(2) "Transferrable Approval Vote" - Each top-ranked non-eliminated
candidate on a ballot receives 1 vote.

(3) Convert every ballot into a fully-ranked one by breaking ties at random.