[EM] proxy representation with "dissenting votes"

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Feb 28 21:31:23 PST 2006

At 06:19 PM 2/28/2006, Jiri Räsänen wrote:
>My last writing was too ambiguous, so I try to offer some adjustment.
>
>1. At this point I will not try to make any case
>for or agains any system. I just want to clarify
>what is meant for certain concepts, for myself
>and hopefully in the process, to some other too.

My own intention is to foster discussion of the
proxy and delegable proxy concepts. The more this
is discussed, the more likely that these concepts
will see application in real-world organizations.
I'd also like to encourage anyone interested in
delegable proxy to register (and confirm the
registration checkmail that will come) at

http://beyondpolitics.org/wiki

even if you don't have time to do anything beyond
that at the moment.... registration will give us
a confirmed email address, a way to contact you.
We don't plan to do regular mailings to the
registration list, but it might be occasionally
important. I think a regular discussion list will
be started shortly. Actually, there is already a
list, but it is not being publicized.... too much to do....

>There are a few possible terminology choises. I
>tried to formulate that "direct representation"
>would be a general attribute and "proxy
>representation" being a sub set. If that doesn't
>feel right, I'm OK with that too.

In political science, here, they write about
"direct democracy." A direct representative and a
direct proxy are the same thing, if the
representative has freedom of action. If the
representative does not have freedom of action,
you actually have direct democracy with the messages being carried by slaves.

The term "proxy" in the U.S., in the business
context, brings with it a series of expectations.
Generally it is expected that the proxy in
attendance at the annual meeting of a corporation
does have the right of decision, as far as the
corporation is concerned. The degree of freedom
of the proxy may be defined in the relationship
between the proxy and the one represented, but
the actions of the proxy in the absence of the
represented one are binding. That is, if the
shareholder comes in after a vote and says, "But
I instructed my proxy to do something else," the
corporation officers will say, "Too bad. Maybe
you should name someone else as a proxy next
time." And this is as it should be.

Except that an organization *might* provide for
an extended voting period for members not
present. I'm not sure I recommend it, but it is
certainly possible. The intention would be that,
in this period, members who don't agree with the
action of their proxy may effectively revoke
their proxy simply by voting directly.

It is generally understood that a proxy acts in
the absence or incapacity of the shareholder. If
the shareholder shows up at the meeting after
having named a proxy, the shareholder may
participate directly and the proxy assignment is suspended.

Share corporations, in their basic design, are
direct democracies which allow proxy voting. So
there exists centuries of experience, some of
which would be useful in the design of peer
organizations (i.e., in corporations where each
"shareholder" has one share.) One obvious lesson:
the hired servants of the corporation,
specifically management, have a strong interest
in the outcome of shareholder elections and other
shareholder actions. In very large corporations,
management, through various means, has
effectively disenfranchised many or most of the
shareholders, sometimes through rules that
restrict shareholder participation and
shareholder initiatives, other times simply
through having the power to suggest, at corporate
expense, that shareholders name X as a proxy,
and, given the existence of many small
shareholders who are basically clueless, these
solicitations result, typically, in enough votes
to maintain the dominance existing management and
allow a lack of true oversight. Hence Enron.

A simple solution to this would be for
shareholders to be independently organized as a
Free Association with Delegable Proxy. One of the
functions of this organization, which would be
extremely low-overhead, and either free or very
cheap to join -- so cheap that it would be
foolish for anyone with even a very few shares to
not join -- would be to recommend proxy choices
to members. As a Free Association, the
organization itself would *not* endorse proxy
candidates. Rather, it would foster communication
about proxies, it might coordinate the hiring of
professional proxies by shareholders (large
institutional shareholders hire such companies to
represent their interests. Nobody represents the
small shareholders who, collectively, might
actually own a majority of the stock. And a
recommendation might come back to you from your
proxy. It would probably be someone in the chain
of delegable proxies to which the shareholder
belongs, thus establishing a linkage of trust and
open communication, should such be necessary,
between the proxy and the shareholder.

Free Associations with Delegable Proxy, I assert,
could solve many, many problems that are almost
intractable now, and they could do it without
directly challenging or changing existing
institutions. All it takes, really, is for a few
shareholders of a corporation, for example, to
realize that they could collectively advance
their common interest much better than
individually. They don't realize this because
they are certainly unfamiliar, the vast majority
of people are unfamiliar, with the possibilities
of FA/DP organizations, which will avoid most of
the major organizational pitfalls that are the
reason why people don't already spontaneously
organize unless things have gotten so bad that they are forced to....

>In my mind the most simple system is the D2000's
>direct representation, that's why I pointed it
>as a starting place. Delegated Proxy offers one layer more.

Actually, another term for DP democracy is
fractal democracy. It's not just a "layer" except
in a technical sense; DP creates a fractal
structure that potentially includes all the
members and facilitates communication between
them. When communication becomes easy,
decision-making will likewise become much easier than it is now.

Direct representation is simple, but it is also
not scalable to the degree imagined. Direct
representation is quite similar to basic proxy
representation, and proxy representation is
vulnerable to the same second-order scale problem
as direct democracy; it merely postpones the
problem until the group is larger (perhaps
roughly the square of the maximum size that is
functional with direct democracy.)

But it is also my contention that delegable proxy
will produce organizational benefits even in very
small organizations. And it is much simpler to
implement than most people think at first.

>2. FCP'S MODEL AND THE EXPERIENCE PROMOTING IT
>
>I have been active in the FCP (Finnish Citizens'
>Power) since its beginning at 1988. As far as I
>have understood right the proper use of "proxy
>representation", our proposed system was (is) not that, yet close to it.

I don't see much, if any, difference.

>FCP's Synthesis Democracy model:
>1. The parliament functions via direct
>representation. Rep A has 5000 votes and B 9000 votes etc.
>2. There is a constant election, so that any
>voter can change his/her representative at any given day.
>(2.1 Changes would appear next morning, not minute-to-minute.)

Proxy representation is changeable at any time,
plus proxies are defacto revoked temporarily if
the represented person actually votes. As you also have:

>3. A citizen can reserve a vote that the
>parliament is holding for him/herself. The
>citizen's representative will remain, but in the
>reserved issue will not use his/her vote.

Exactly. The only difference with Delegable Proxy
is that if a proxy is not present or does not
vote, the vote of the proxy's proxy who *is*
present and votes will include all the votes of
those represented directly or indirectly. This is
a matter of vote analysis after voting is closed,
and there would presumably be thus an effective
deadline for actually revoking a proxy for a
pending result. But if there is a procedure for
directly voting, it is simple to reverse the
effect of a proxy's vote by directly voting, so
the deadline is really, quite simply, the
deadline for voting itself. I would stage voting
so that there is a preliminary result which would
be announced, giving time for members to directly vote if they care to.

Note that in this period the proxies would be
busy explaining to their "constituents" -- if it
mattered to them -- why they voted as they voted.
Somebody you trust would explain the pending
decision to you. I think most people will take
the advice, but they remain free not to. Again,
note that you would be receiving, not the
decision of the organization as advice, but your
personal opinion of your personal and direct
proxy, a person you chose presumably because you
trust this person. This is why I call DP networks
"networks of trust," and I talk about the
organizations as being "trustworthy by design."

People can certainly make mistakes as to whom to
trust, but my opinion is that, on the average,
people choose to trust people who are more
trustworthy than they are themselves (in all
ways, on the average), and if this is true, DP
networks will select for trustworthiness and high
levels will be highly trustworthy.

>4. There is imperative mandate. Meaning that
>after the representative has voted, a citizen
>can take back the mandate in that single issue and vote him/herself.

This seems quite the same as number 3 to me,
though there may be a procedural distinction.

>(4.1. Imperative mandate may take place only if
>for example 1/10 of the representatives or 1/100
>of the electorate so addresses.)

I'd make it general, if I understand it, but
suspendable upon the agreement of a certain
percentage of proxies, upon a declaration of
emergency. It ought to be rare. (If my proxy
agreed that something was an emergency and that
therefore I would not have the right to review
the vote and change it if I were not convinced,
and I did not agree that, at least, there *was*
an emergency, there would be a serious failure of
trust, and I'd probably go looking for another
proxy. Or, of course, directly participate,
possibly holding proxies from others.

>(5. Two possible treshold models for getting
>elected to the parliament and dropping in the constant election)

My own view is that assemblies will set their own
rules. Given that all members, under standard
parliamentary procedure, may vote on every issue
before the whole, the members will restrict their
own rights of participation voluntarily as needed
for efficiency. In small organizations,
restriction may be rare and confined to
preventing damage from a deranged member. In
larger organizations, though, participation
rights must be limited. And, again, this follows
closely the biological models I use.

Proxies protect the center from the individual
members and they protect the members from what
could otherwise be overwhelming traffic from the
center, given that most members will be busy with
this or that. Synapses do exactly this.

>Our argument was (is) quite like what Mr. Lomax presented.
>Some favour representative democracy, some
>favour direct democracy. We proposed that the
>decision between direct and representative
>democracy was not necessarily a monolithic
>system-level decision. We propose a system that
>allows each citizen decide wheter he/she wants
>direct or representative democracy. Also
>offering the flexibility to use DD in issues
>close to me while letting RD handle the rest of
>the stuff. Both alienation and the tyranny of the active could so be bypassed.

Indeed. Mr. Räsänen, I want to congratulate you
for bringing up the "tyranny of the active." I've
written a fair amount on it, but haven't seen
anyone else discussing it. Most active members of
organizations don't see the damage that this can
and does do. Indeed, what I've seen is that
active members typically think that they are the
ones who know what is best for everyone. *And
they are often right.* But not always, and, what
is worse, a majority of active members does not
necessarily represent, absent proxy
representation, a majority of all members.
Organizations can be torn apart by the resulting
incongruities. At best, a lot of time can be wasted.

An example is something I've written about many
times, an incident with our Town Meeting
government. I'm fortunate to live in a small New
England town that is governed by Town Meeting.
Which is a direct democracy, a relic from earlier
times, mostly abandoned as towns grew. Our town
has about 800 registered voters with the right to
attend the meeting and vote. Fortunately, only
about twenty or thirty show up at the meeting! Or
else nothing would get done! (All members have
equal access to the floor, i.e., to speak and
enter motions.) So Town Meeting approved a tax
override to fund a new emergency services center.
The Board of Selectmen, which is the closest
thing the town has to a continual government,
there is no mayor, also approved it. And a lot of
money was spent on the planning. But
Massachusetts law requires tax overrides to be
presented directly to the voters. And it failed.

Essentially, the active failed to convince the
generality that their decision was right. This
kind of thing would be rare in a DP organization.
A DP organization would effectively consider the
input of all the citizens who had any opinion at
all, there would be a lot of back-and-forth, so
that proposals which are actually submitted to
the voters have already developed a serious
consensus. The back-and-forth would exist in
personal conversations, made possible by delegable proxy.

That isn't possible, really, when proxies
represent thousands of people. Students of
democracy are quite aware of how representatives
with substantial districts can't really consult
their constituents, they must depend, rather, on
polls or the like, or upon the opinions of those
sufficiently motivated to contact them. Which will be skewed.

>We printed our platform and hit the streets. Our
>platform was all-in-one program to transform the
>political system of Finland. Initially, most
>thought we were crazy. Newspapers concentrated
>our proposal of electronic voting.

Let me suggest, gently, that attempt to reform
the political system is going to run into what
I've called the Lomax Effect, simply for lack of
clear terminology and because I've not seen it
described elsewhere, though it probably has been.
This is related to the "tyranny of the active."

When a structure is inequitable, providing excess
power to some members of an organization, those
members will resist change toward equity, because
they will, correctly, see it as reducing their
own power. Charitably, we may note that they will
believe that this will be a transfer of power to
the less knowledgeable, and often they will be
right. But there is a way around the Lomax
Effect, and that is to organize *outside* the
existing structures, to form organizations whose
basic function is to advise their members how to
act *within* the existing structure. Ideally,
these organizations should be structured and
principled so as to attract *everyone* as
members, there should be no reason other than
pure inertia not to join, since joining the
organization would never, unlike the norm, result
in the fact of your membership being used against
your interests or opinions. The organizations
typically would not collect funds, thus you would
not find that money you have contributed is used
against what you wish, merely because a majority so decided.

These are Free Association principles,
well-developed by Alcoholics Anonymous and proven
to work to develop and maintain organizational consensus where it matters.

I think that FA/DP organizations will be so
effective and efficient that, once formed, they
will quickly come to dominate the political scene
until a point will be reached where everyone who
cares at all will have joined. And then you can
with total ease drive the existing structures.
You don't need to change laws and procedures. And
you would develop great power long before that
universal point is reached. There is a great deal
of ink wasted on the alleged power of "special
interest groups." The only reason special
interest groups have excess power is that they
are organized and the people, who, collectively,
have *all* the power, are not organized.

So how do you form a "special interest group of
all the people." I submit that if you study this
question, you will come up with FA/DP.

>We did this campaigning for some 5 years hard.
>After that we went on concentrating more
>conservative reforms that would still enhance
>pluralism. So we went to STV and such.

Expected and proper, though, as you may imagine,
I'd do it a little differently. That is, I would
suggest that the organization never take a
controversial position itself. Rather, caucuses
within the organization would do this. In this
way, there is a strong selection process created
that would motivate people to find consensus
through full discussion and deliberation. A
caucus with a majority of voters in it does have
the ability to go ahead and drive the existing
system the way they want (and also more
sophisticated systems such as STV). Actually, an
even smaller caucus could do this under present
conditions, if it is the largest caucus or has
the most resources. But why be content with mere
majority support, which, after all, steadily
divides society. Why not seek consensus. Sure,
absolute consensus in a very large group will
probably be impossible, but there is no clear
limit; mostly the failure to find substantial
consensus results from not trying, not from its impossibility.

>It refreshes my vains to see other people really
>thinking much the same lines we have been thinking!

I really think that anyone who approaches the
existing situation, having certain ideas present
with them, will come up with pretty much the same
conclusions. It is just that most people never
think about democracy and what it really means.

FA/DP is a generic solution to the problem of
human organization; FA guarantees that the
organization cannot come to rule the members, and
DP essentially creates a higher intelligence. It
is the glimmerings of this higher intelligence
that is the reason democracy in general, even the
very primitive democracy that we have in the
world today, is more successful than societies
with more restricted oligarchies, and especially
why it is more successful than dictatorships,
which are limited by the intelligence of the
dictator. Even a smart dictator is no match for
millions of people working on problems and freely finding solutions.

>3. As far as I know, Demoex is still running. As
>far as I know, they haven't used Nordfors's technology.

That's correct, as far as I know. But Demoex is
quite limited, compared to what it could have
been (and still could be). I'm not sure of the
exact relationship with Nordfor, I think he was
involved with the original Demoex technology,
which may be why it did include delegable proxy.

>4. Using cryptography, digital signature, it is
>possible to have both secret ballot and a
>communication between a representative (=proxy)
>and a voter so that the representative knows
>that the person who contacts him/her has voted for him/her.

Sure, it is possible to conceal this information
from all others, while at the same time
validating that the vote has genuinely be
transferred. Unfortunately, if the representative
knows that so-and-so has voted for him or her,
that representative could coerce the vote. Secret
ballot must be secret from the ones who receive
the votes, or it is not secret in one of the most important ways.

In FAs with DP, secrecy becomes a fish bicycle,
since the organization is not going to make any
binding decisions. There will be so little profit
in attempting to defraud the system that I
seriously doubt that attempts would be at all
common. The most that would happen if someone
gathers a lot of phony proxies is that they could
gain a voice in a high-level meeting, whereas
otherwise they would only have a vote. And they
would then have to convince a substantial number
of the other high-level proxies, *real proxies,
really trusted by a lot of people,* of the
correctness of their cause. Unless the cause is
truly worthwhile, this is going to be *very*
difficult. And, remember, the resulting
recommendation has to be filtered back down to
the members *who hold all the actual power, such
as the power to vote in public elections*, and it
will subject to, essentially, universal scrutiny.
All it takes is for one member to smell a rat and
investigate. In FA/DP organizations, I presume
that proxy assignments would *not* be secret. It
would not be at all difficult to detect massive
fraud. I think that those who might otherwise be
tempted won't even bother. Too much risk for almost no gain.

If you want to speak to a high-level meeting, all
you have to do is to convince *one* full member
of that meeting (i.e., with the right to directly
address the assembly and to enter motions) that
it should be done. This member would then either
present your thoughts himself or herself, or
would ask the permission of the assembly for you
to address it. Easy. And if you can't get even
one member to agree with you, surely, should you
obtain the right to address it by fraudulent
means, you would not get any further than that.
And once the fraud was discovered, you might find
yourself shunned. FAs don't punish members,
period. But Free Association implies not only the
freedom to associate, but the freedom *not* to associate.

If you, for example, represent a large
corporation which wants to be allowed to pollute,
wouldn't you find it more fruitful to openly
negotiate than to pursue a useless attempt to
fool a very smart public? Perhaps the corporation
will do something of sufficient value that it is
worth the measure of pollution generated. Or,
perhaps, the ideas being presented to the
organization will result in even better ideas
coming back, helping the corporation to develop plans that profit all.

>     - There are of course several critical issues in electronic voting!

Electronic voting is really not difficult when it
is only polling. And if you have a defined and
validated membership list, electronic voting can
be fraud-free. It is not the voting that it is
difficult, it is the development of the
membership list. DP provides a self-validating
structure, with multiple pathways of
communication, including non-electronic and personal, direct meetings.

>5. To me, there is a problem of delegable proxy
>having more than one level of voting /
>delegating. Quite amusingly, the cycle may
>occure: A wants to give his vote to B. B wants
>to give his vote to C and C wants to give his
>vote to A. Of course it is possible just to
>prohibit cyclic delegating, but this does not
>make the problem disappear, it merely transforms
>it. There is more to it but I will not go deeper on the issue at the moment.

You should understand that this objection (what I
call proxy loops) is common among those who
encounter the idea and actually give it some
thought. (Most people don't get that far.) Some
consider it a serious problem. I don't, because,
first of all, loops should be routine. That is, I
would encourage everyone in the organization,
*everyone*, to name a proxy. I.e., even if there
is a superproxy, someone who directly or
indirectly represents everyone in the
organization, this person would name a proxy.
Which will obviously create a loop.

There will be factions in the organization, I
expect, and each faction will create a loop. Yes,
if there are *very* many factions, there could
theoretically be a serious representation failure
if the individual factions were not large enough
to qualify. Of course, qualifications would be
adjusted to that situation; but this is the generic and simple solution:

Whenever small loops are created in the
assignment list, the members of the loop are
notified. If *any* member of the loop changes his
or her assignment outside the loop, the loop
becomes connected. In a small organization, if A
wants to name B and B wants to name A, the
smallest possible loop, what is the problem if,
always, A or B attend the meetings. If the
organization is larger and such a small loop
would not have full participation privileges,
then, of course, A and B would be motivated to
seek and find someone else to represent them both
in the absence of both of them.

Yes, it would be possible to prohibit loops, but,
as I've established, I think, they are necessary
and inevitable. They only would cause harm under
certain conditions, easily prevented. If A and B
really don't care to be represented, why should
the organization care? Sure, it wants to
encourage everyone to join, but everyone is *not*
going to join, and the A-B loop described is
*almost* like not joining, if it is a large
organization. By closing their trust upon each
other, by failing to seek and find someone to
trust outside their very limited circle, they
have disenfranchised themselves. And consider how
this compares to the situation now. It certainly is not worse!

Without delegable proxy, in any case, there will
be a much more common representation failure.
After all, what if the proxy is absent?

>6. Funny that you mentioned the Chinese society.
>I remember that Nordfors was thinking that
>perhaps the communist party could use the system for internal discussion.

Yes. Now, the existing party has its Lomax
Effect. It's not likely to happen there. But
there are independent NGOs in China which are
able to walk the tightrope, particularly I am
aware of environmental organizations, which have
been able to expose the graft and corruption
involved in companies polluting Chinese
resources. Really, though, the FA/DP
organizations could be about *any* subject. It
really does not matter, in the long run, what
matters is that people discover that there is a
way to create a powerful organization overnight,
once the mechanisms are understood. Consider a
phone tree where everyone in the tree calls N
people. N can be very small and still all will be
called within a fairly small period of time, the power of exponential growth.

>  I tried to sell the system to a major party in
> Finland, their key person in the internal
> forums (now the prime minister of Finland, BTW)
> was interested but they had already invested
> into a different web discussion system.

Let me tell, you, the Lomax Effect. It happens in
large and small organizations. I did not make this up!

(If anyone wants to come up with a better name,
they are welcome. "Persistence of Inequity Effect?"

>7. To my mind the most proponent places to start
>the silent revolution of Delegable proxies could
>be mis-sized parties and unions, where there is
>both formal and informal discussion, both paid
>and non-paid people. You see, if you have a
>discussion + delegative system out in the wild,
>there is no real reason for people to join it,
>since there is nothing close to decide, it's just talk.

Talk is much more powerful than one might think.
After all, "talk" can be, properly organized,
"deliberation," the foundation of real and
functional democracy. "Mere talk" usually is what
takes place when there are no structures, no
decision-making mechanisms, such as Robert's
Rules or other parliamentary rules.

I tried to introduce Robert's Rules to the Range
Voting list, which wants to be an organization,
and it was shot down. And the result, I can
rather confidently predict, is that these very
smart and very good people will continue to spin
their wheels with minimal actual impact. My
attempt to introduce the Rules was misunderstood
as an attempt to control the organization, and
the scrupulousness with which I guaranteed the
full rights and powers of all participants, as
acting chair, functioning only for the purpose of
making the proposal and making a decision on it,
was seen as wasting time, since, with an online
discussion group, it is necessary to wait quite a
while before actually proceeding to a binding
vote. However, my only agenda was the process
itself, and I actually don't want to be running a
specific-cause organization, I was merely
offering my services and experience temporarily.

I'm a bit like a very primitive organism that
sows thousands of seeds, needing only one of them
to germinate and sprout. When there are more
involved, working with me or I with them -- or,
preferably, both -- we will start to see much
more happening. For now, I can say that I have
stimulated, here, consideration of delegable
proxy as a viable possibility, and there are
election methods implications, among them Asset
Voting, which is basically delegable proxy used
for the purpose of creating a peer assembly,
generally with no wasted votes. Everyone ends up
with an elected representative for whom they
voted, or who passed on their vote to a winner.
Asset Voting would fit into many existing
structures, and it would be quite simple to implement.

Asset Voting is an invention of Warren Smith, the
Range Voting activist, and I don't think he has
realized the power of what he invented. Range
Voting is excellent for polling, but it would be
a disaster, I think, for creating an assembly
with proportional representation. It is still a
voting method, essentially, with winners and
losers. And, necessarily, wasted votes, votes
where the voter might as well have stayed home,
his or her vote had no effect on the outcome.

There is a form of Asset Voting, I call FAAV,
Fractional Approval Asset Voting, which takes a
standard ballot and simply divides the votes cast
on it among the candidates who receive those
votes. You can vote for one and that person gets
one vote. Or you can vote for ten and create a
virtual committee which will ultimately decide
how to distribute your vote. Essentially, you
vote for the person or persons you trust. It is
actually delegable proxy in disguise, and might
very well function that way in the negotiation
process that ensues after the election.

>  Political systems coded in law are, on the
> other hand, way too resistant to change to be a
> starting point. In small units it may be the
> easiest to begin such a system, but it takes at
> least a mid-sized party before the delegated
> discussion / voting will begin to have
> distinctive emergent properties that aside of
> discussion list type organization.

It may be easier to change the law than to change
existing power relationships. The Lomax Effect
functions even in purely voluntary nonprofits. In
fact, it can sometimes be worse there than in
profit-making organizations or in government.
People in nonprofits are often quite convinced
that they are working for a good cause, which
justifies whatever underhanded techniques they
use to get what they think is best, which,
surprise, often means that their personal power
is enhanced or at least maintained. But even
without that "ends justify the means" problem, inequities persist.

>8.1 The smallest step towards the Delegated
>proxy democracy in present western democracies:
>When there is a referendum and let's say 60% of
>the people vote, let the parliament use the
>remaining 40% of the total voting power.

Interesting. However, I think the whole thing is
unnecessary. I'm no longer exercised to change
existing structures. Tackled directly, it can be
very, very difficult. Snowball's chance in Hell
of getting the excellent idea just mentioned
implemented, unless preconditions exist.

I'm working on the preconditions, which is that
the people become directly organized, *outside*
of power structures. *Then* the power structures
can be managed, and if they need to be changed, it can easily happen.

>This way there is no fear that too little people
>would vote in a referendum for it to be
>meaningful, since the representatives would
>always fill the remaining political vacuum.
>Meaning that you could have much more referendums.
>This could be an easy step for present Switzerland.

Sure. Watch. You won't be able to do it unless
you first develop a consensus, or something quite
large. Existing organizations require much more
than a good idea. This, in fact, was one of the
original impulses behind my design of DP; it was
to form a way to consider ideas that would
rapidly develop a response and, if warranted,
action. If there had been, for example, an FA/DP
organization of U.S. F.B.I. agents, 9-11 would
not have happened. The information was there but
the top-down organization of the F.B.I. could not
process it. FA/DP is organized bottom-up. Indeed,
it would work excellently *alongside* a top-down
organization, it not only need not oppose or
replace it, rather it will complement it and
bring in the missing element that will make the combination fully intelligent.

[...]
>So, to summarize: There could be at least two
>meaningful routes to delegated proxy. One being
>the small and mid-scale parties and
>associations. The other could be to adjust
>referendums close to proxy logic and step by step having more referendums.

I think that there is no way to predict what
route it will take, but it is far too good an
idea to *never* see the light of day, and it is
far too simple. It essentially costs nothing but
the creation of a list. That list can be a wiki
page with a list of members and assigned proxies.
You want to change your assignment, log in and change your listing.

Some people thinking about this want to have
multiple proxies. I do suggest multiple proxies
for multiple organizations, but within a single
organization, there are quite a few reasons why
naming one and only one proxy will be, I expect,
far more powerful. Most of all, there is a clear
and defined responsibility. I've seen what
happens when two people represent something. Each
one of them thinks that the other is going to do it.

Single-assignment DP, with small loops
voluntarily broken, provides a clear chain of
communication, defined from both ends, each link
in the chain representing a relationship of
trust. That trust can be provisional, the member
can scrutinize all the actions of the proxy and
question them if necessary, but the point is to
build those relationships. You don't want a proxy
who will be too busy to return your phone call or
your email. Yes, a high-level proxy, or even one
not so high-level, may have a mailing list to
communicate with those represented, but it is
communication in the other direction that must be
personal and usually initiated from the bottom.

>9. Too bad what happened with Approval voting group.   :-(

Nah.... *expected.* If it is too bad, it is too
bad for the Approval Voting cause, but that cause
is not going to fail solely based on what
happened to me; *however*, what happened to me
betrayed the utter lack of understanding and
political sophistication on the part of those who
founded and control the group and the list. In
this they are not untypical of would-be reformers
of democracy who actually do not trust democracy
and prefer to create oligarchical structures that
they can personally control. Read the proposed
bylaws of Citizens for Approval Voting.... they
specifically prohibit proxy voting. Guess why!
(These rules are common, they may have copied
them from some other organization, but the
prohibition was originally created to prevent
members from actually exerting the control that they theoretically have.)

I think I drove the moderator up the wall by
recommending to him exactly how he could do what
he wanted to do -- stop me from discussing what
he thought was irrelevant, *if* his action had
the support of the list -- and I don't think he
realized that he was talking to forty years of
organizational experience. I know how to shut up
a rogue member of a group *without* being a
tyrant, and, quite possibly, without gratuitously
alienating the individual. Who, after all, may
have a lot of useful energy to donate.

I write a lot, but I *do* have a lot to say, and
not enough time at the moment to edit it down.
Perhaps I'll do that when I write the book. Or
perhaps, as is more common, it will be edited by someone else.