[EM] an example of how FA/DP democracy could solve a major problem: spam

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Feb 28 18:59:40 PST 2006

I'm going to start with a little example that got me fired up today.
I sent a copy of some posts today to the author of the posts to which
I was responding. I got back a bounce, the relevant part of which was:

>message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>
>   jiri.rasanen at kolumbus.fi
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL
> FROM:<abd at lomaxdesign.com> SIZE=16702:
>     host mx.kolumbus.fi [193.229.5.160]: 550 Your IP address
> [69.93.71.146] is blocked (listed in l1.spews.dnsbl.sorbs.net).
> Please contact your own ISP.

It appears that kolumbus.fi, or the domain host for kolumbis.fi,
whoever is operating the mail server, is using the SPEWS DNS
blacklist database, which is echoed as a convenience by SORBS. SORBS
does not endorse this blacklist, and it appears that SPEWS is, shall
we say, controversial in the antispam world, largely because one must
apparently jump through hoops to get removed, even if one has never
spammed at all. I did a search covering 143 DNSBLs. The only
blacklist which listed my IP address (which is the address of one of
my domain host servers) was SPEWS. If SPEWS had been directly used
according to SPEWS instructions, I would have received specific
instructions as to how to deal with the blacklisting. But kolumbus.fi
is not using SPEWS directly, it is using the SORBS echo, which SORBS
says it provides as a convenience. A search on SORBS itself and I did
not find any blacklisting for my domain. In order to find the actual
blacklist entry, I had to do a fair amount of research just to find
SPEWS and to directly look up the domain there. It appears that some
domain hosted by my host may have spammed somebody, or may have been
incorrectly reported as spamming somebody, possibly several years
ago. The blacklist information is not dated; but the report on the
owner of the offending domain was a listing that expired a year ago.
This is apparently very old data. And that is one of the complaints
about SPEWS: once on the list, you have to go through a process,
reported as harrowing by some, to prove you are not a spammer. Given
that most mail service providers are not using the SPEWS list, since
there are much better and safer ones, the occurrence of a problem
would be rare, and thus I can infer that my domain host tech support
may not even be aware of the continued listing, or they did not judge
it worthwhile spending the effort to clear it. After all, they didn't
necessarily do anything wrong; they may have had other reports
regarding the alleged spammer and may have dumped him a long time ago.

I could complain to my domain host. However, frankly, it isn't worth
the effort for me to do even that; I am far more concerned about process.

DNS blacklists are examples of *part* of how a Free Association of
internet users would deal with spam. However, how the blacklist is
operated is crucial; for such blacklists can easily do more harm than
good. More accurately, they multiply the harm done by a spammer far
beyond the initial impact of the spam. The argument behind this is
that users whose mail gets blocked will complain to their service
provider, forcing the service provider to dump the spammer. Indeed,
so far so good. However, note that *many* innocent people may be
dragged into the "war" against one spammer. (And sometimes it wasn't
spam at all, perhaps somebody forgot that they subscribed -- or their
wife subscribed -- to a mailing list that only occasionally mails.
And that someone complained or took action.)

Personally, I asked my domain host to shut off their default DNSBL
filter. The reason is that it had too many false positives, too many
innocent users trying to contact our business; we don't want that to
happen to anyone, much less an existing customer. So, instead of
having our host prefilter our mail by checking the blacklists, which
will catch about 90% of spam, I use Mailwasher, together with the
blacklists, to filter the mail myself. It takes a minute or two a
day. I scan down a display of From: and Subject: headers, and it is
quite obvious, most of the time, what is spam and what is not. And if
somehow I overlook a legitimate mail in the spam haystack (might
happen some of the time), our order-taker also filters independently
the same mail, and, further, if the user's mail is dumped because
both of us missed it, they aren't permanently blacklisted, the next
time they write they have just as much chance to get through. Since I
started this system, actually, I don't think we have deleted a single
legitimate mail. But we might have. Once we identify a legitimate
sender, that sender goes on our Friends list, and will always get
through from now on. Note that with DNSBLs, there is no way to use a
Friends list except if the host provides the service, which is rare, I think.

What could be done better? Well, imagine that a user organization
develops a program that functions through forwarding spam, with full
headers, to a single address. At that address is a tool which
analyzes received mail using a sophisticated spam tagger. I won't go
into all the facilities at that address, devices to make the
identification of an actual piece of spam and its actual source (not
the spoofed source, frequently a completely innocent user), but
rather at the user organization which will support it. Users who
report spam to the list will be identified as legitimate through the
DP network, which, we should remember, functions in both directions.
Essentially to join this part of the organization, somebody actually
talks to you on the phone.... the labor of this is widely
distributed, and it serves other purposes as well, so it would not be a burden.

There are two modes in which this would function. The first is under
present conditions, where there is a lot of spam. Under those
conditions, most people, even members, might ignore most spam most of
the time. Only those who have enough time or who are fired up by the
outrageousness of a particular fraud attempt would actually take the
time to forward it. Still, if the org is very large, spam would be
*quickly* reported. And a source IP  will be what I call greylisted.
Mail from that domain would be, through service providers who use the
service, shunted aside and specially analyzed for spam
characteristics before being allowed to pass through to the users. If
necessary, a domain would be blacklisted, for automatic rejection,
but this can cause substantial collateral damage.... If a domain *is*
blacklisted, the service provider would have an *easy* way to confirm
that they have cut off the spammer at the source. Ease of use is
critical at all stages.

The idea is to collect the intelligence and labor of many people,
just a little from each. Setting this up and sorting it all out would
take a kind of organization that largely does not exist. The existing
blacklists are what relatively isolated groups of motivated
individuals can do, but those actions are quite limited. There has
not been any news on the SPEWS home page for years. SPEWS is set up
to require more than just a little work from a few people; it thus
depends on just a few, and those few may not actually represent the
welfare of the whole body of users.

I am fully aware that DNSBLs are free creations, that they have no
power to stop spam by themselves; rather the actual stopping is done
by domain hosts, according to their own decisions. However, some
DNSBLs have, with this argument, abdicated all responsibility for
what they do and the effect it can have on innocent users of email.
If anyone is further interested in this particular question, I'd
suggest looking at http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/37511

Spam and phishing and the Nigeria scam are public offenses, they take
place in the commons. I mentioned above that the spam solution I'm
recommending would function in two modes, the first being under
present conditions where there is a lot of spam. I think that this
solution would cut down drastically on the amount of spam being
delivered, for the blacklisting process would be reliable by design,
and there would be the intelligence of many thousands of
knowledgeable people behind it (my design is merely a suggestion, one
possibility).

The second mode would phase into existence as the first mode cuts
back on spam to the point where successful spams, for the average
user, become a manageable trickle rather than the present torrent
that exists for anyone who doesn't have their mail prefiltered
automatically. When spam becomes relatively rare, it will be reported
much more quickly. If there are millions of members of the
organization, a mass mailing may only reach a few thousand before
somebody trusted reports it. Spam will start to be cut off within the
first few messages sent (compared to the total). It will become quite
uneconomical, since spamming generally results in the loss of domain
privileges, and that costs money. Or uses a fraudulent credit card, a
whole other problem that also needs mass support to be thoroughly
solved. At the very least it takes human work to get through
sophisticated domain hosts' processes. You can't just set a bot on
it. (And, with millions of people supporting the effort, donations
will be quite adequate, with nobody breaking a sweat, to hire
programmers and other necessary workers to make the system work
efficiently. Essentially, the user organization will be bigger and
smarter than any of the spammers, for, being DP, it will be
functioning as a superconscious intelligence. We might call it the
wisdom of crowds on steroids....