[EM] proxy representation with "dissenting votes"

Jiri Räsänen jiri.rasanen at kolumbus.fi
Tue Feb 28 15:19:00 PST 2006

My last writing was too ambiguous, so I try to offer some adjustment.

1. At this point I will not try to make any case for or agains any
system. I just want to clarify what is meant for certain concepts, for
myself and hopefully in the process, to some other too.

There are a few possible terminology choises. I tried to formulate that
"direct representation" would be a general attribute and "proxy
representation" being a sub set. If that doesn't feel right, I'm OK
with that too.

In my mind the most simple system is the D2000's direct representation,
that's why I pointed it as a starting place. Delegated Proxy offers one
layer more.

2. FCP'S MODEL AND THE EXPERIENCE PROMOTING IT

I have been active in the FCP (Finnish Citizens' Power) since its
beginning at 1988. As far as I have understood right the proper use of
"proxy representation", our proposed system was (is) not that, yet
close to it.

FCP's Synthesis Democracy model:
1. The parliament functions via direct representation. Rep A has 5000
votes and B 9000 votes etc.
2. There is a constant election, so that any voter can change his/her
representative at any given day.
(2.1 Changes would appear next morning, not minute-to-minute.)
3. A citizen can reserve a vote that the parliament is holding for
him/herself. The citizen's representative will remain, but in the
reserved issue will not use his/her vote.
4. There is imperative mandate. Meaning that after the representative
has voted, a citizen can take back the mandate in that single issue and
vote him/herself.
(4.1. Imperative mandate may take place only if for example 1/10 of the
representatives or 1/100 of the electorate so addresses.)
(5. Two possible treshold models for getting elected to the parliament
and dropping in the constant election)

Our argument was (is) quite like what Mr. Lomax presented.
Some favour representative democracy, some favour direct democracy. We
proposed that the decision between direct and representative democracy
was not necessarily a monolithic system-level decision. We propose a
system that allows each citizen decide wheter he/she wants direct or
representative democracy. Also offering the flexibility to use DD in
issues close to me while letting RD handle the rest of the stuff. Both
alienation and the tyranny of the active could so be bypassed.

We printed our platform and hit the streets. Our platform was
all-in-one program to transform the political system of Finland.
Initially, most thought we were crazy. Newspapers concentrated our
proposal of electronic voting.

We did this campaigning for some 5 years hard. After that we went on
concentrating more conservative reforms that would still enhance
pluralism. So we went to STV and such.
It refreshes my vains to see other people really thinking much the same
lines we have been thinking!

3. As far as I know, Demoex is still running. As far as I know, they
haven't used Nordfors's technology.

4. Using cryptography, digital signature, it is possible to have both
secret ballot and a communication between a representative (=proxy) and
a voter so that the representative knows that the person who contacts
him/her has voted for him/her.
     - There are of course several critical issues in electronic voting!

5. To me, there is a problem of delegable proxy having more than one
level of voting / delegating. Quite amusingly, the cycle may occure: A
wants to give his vote to B. B wants to give his vote to C and C wants
to give his vote to A. Of course it is possible just to prohibit cyclic
delegating, but this does not make the problem disappear, it merely
transforms it. There is more to it but I will not go deeper on the
issue at the moment.

6. Funny that you mentioned the Chinese society. I remember that
Nordfors was thinking that perhaps the communist party could use the
system for internal discussion. I tried to sell the system to a major
party in Finland, their key person in the internal forums (now the
prime minister of Finland, BTW) was interested but they had already
invested into a different web discussion system.

7. To my mind the most proponent places to start the silent revolution
of Delegable proxies could be mis-sized parties and unions, where there
is both formal and informal discussion, both paid and non-paid people.
You see, if you have a discussion + delegative system out in the wild,
there is no real reason for people to join it, since there is nothing
close to decide, it's just talk. Political systems coded in law are, on
the other hand, way too resistant to change to be a starting point. In
small units it may be the easiest to begin such a system, but it takes
at least a mid-sized party before the delegated discussion / voting
will begin to have distinctive emergent properties that aside of
discussion list type organization.

8.1 The smallest step towards the Delegated proxy democracy in present
western democracies:
When there is a referendum and let's say 60% of the people vote, let
the parliament use the remaining 40% of the total voting power.
This way there is no fear that too little people would vote in a
referendum for it to be meaningful, since the representatives would
always fill the remaining political vacuum.
Meaning that you could have much more referendums.
This could be an easy step for present Switzerland.

8.2 Step two:
(This needs electronic voting.)
When there is a referendum, for those citizens not voting, their vote
would be used by a) the parlamentarian they voted for in the last
elections.  If there is no such parlamentarian, then b) the _closest_
parlamentarian(s). (With preferential voting, more accuracy.)

OR:

8.3 _Before_ each referendum, the parliament would have a semi-advisory
vote. If I have a representative in the parliament and he/she votes the
way I either think myself, or I _trust_ his/her opinion, I don't bother
to vote for myself.
This model would stress the politician / parlamentarian as and advisor.

NOTE: In 8.1 and in 8.3 the representation system remains the old one
representative / one vote. In model 8.2 within the referendums, the
representatives would use as many votes that there would be left to
them. So to the present political dogma, the 8.2 is more radical. Hence
8.1 or 8.3 as the first step.
NOTE 2: There could be also the variation to 8.2, having the
parlamentarians voting before the citizens, this now approaching the
FCP model described above.

So, to summarize: There could be at least two meaningful routes to
delegated proxy. One being the small and mid-scale parties and
associations. The other could be to adjust referendums close to proxy
logic and step by step having more referendums.

9. Too bad what happened with Approval voting group.   :-(

All the best,

Jiri Räsänen
Finland

  (continuation of earlier response)