[EM] proxy representation with "dissenting votes"

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Feb 28 12:07:30 PST 2006

(continuation of earlier response)

At 04:43 PM 2/26/2006, Jiri Räsänen wrote:
>The idea has been proposed by a several individuals later on. At the
>moment, there are at least two organisations proposing direct
>representation. One is The Finnish Citizens' Power Association, and the
>other is the Center for Collaborative Democracy (
>http://www.democracy2000.org )

Democracy2000.org went up in 1998, proposing
proxy representation. There is no mention of
delegable proxy, which is a crucial innovation,
there. Standard proxy representation, as proposed
by Democracy2000, would be a vast improvement
over existing methods of forming assemblies in
the political arena, but we can see from the
experience with proxy representation in large
corporations that this innovation (i.e, applying
proxy rep to political organizations, as if each
voter held one share in a corporation) will be
limited in its impact. It is delegable proxy that
could reduce the gap between individual members
and those who represent them; without this, in
large organizations, we will end up with
something quite like what we have today. Better,
but not radically different. Politics as usual,
really. A small notch up from proportional representation, that's all.

>There is also a proxy-voting decision-making software under GNU. (
>http://www.vivarto.com/tiki-index.php )

If I'm correct, this is the software whose
bugginess resulted in its abandonment by Demoex.
(I'm not sure.) Software is necessary if one
desires to make the calculation of total vote
from actual cast votes easy, and especially (and
with the greatest difficulty) if one wants to
have base-level proxy assignments to be secure
and not only confidential but blind, i.e., the
recipient of the proxy does not know who exactly
is being represented. Can't talk to this person
on the phone, though might be able to send an email.

I actually think that it may be impossible to be
fully secure, for reasons I won't go into here;
if secure, the system will be badly hobbled.
However, fortunately, it is not necessary to be
secure in initial, nongovernmental applications
of DP. Proxy assignments can be open and
verifiable by anyone. Further, if the context is
what I've called a Free Association, phony
registrations in order to fraudulently amplify
the proxy rights of someone will not only be
difficult to maintain, but they will be next to
useless. To describe why would take more words than I can spare at the moment.

Suffice it to say that I am actively promoting
the combination of delegable proxy and the Free
Association concept as being what will radically
-- but peacefully and in an orderly way --
transform society, not just politics. Because of
the avoidance of controversy *as an
organization*, a Free Association could function
even under difficult political circumstances,
such as in China today. A Chinese FA would simply
be a means whereby citizens could communicate and
cooperate, ostensibly and *actually* for the
purpose of intelligently and efficiently
implementing official governmental policy.
However, the medium is the message. Once large
numbers of people are communicating efficiently
and openly -- with the existing constraints --,
and if delegable proxy is implemented, there will
be no way to control the content of the
communication, because it will take place by
nonelectronic means once the connections are
made. So a very gentle revolution, with maximum
intelligence and minimum violence, could become
possible. Tienananmen Square contains many
lessons for those who would transform a place
like China. Confronting a deeply entrenched
oligarchy is not something that can be
successfully done by ad-hoc and incoherent
organizations. Even though the students at
Tienanmen actually succeeded in getting the
government, and especially sympathetic elements
within the government, to negotiate with them,
the students were unable to agree to anything,
for the radical elements, who make the most noise
and who can field the most fanatics on short
notice, were inflexible and demanded nothing
short of the total humiliation of the government.

What I see is that to confront the oligarchies,
we must organize independently of existing
structures, and we must organize in a way that
can quickly form, when necessary, a consensus. If
the organization is structured properly, radical
elements who do not accept the considered views
of the large majority of members (as developed
and expressed directly or indirectly through
proxies), and who choose to act, will correctly
be seen as being independent of the organization,
and the organization itself will not suffer from
their likely repression. Free Associations, quite
simply, don't take controversial positions. But
there is nothing to prevent a caucus within the
organization from acting independently, since a
Free Association has no control whatever over its
members. It does not even take their money and
spend it without their individual and continued
consent, except for very minor routine operating
expenses, completely noncontroversial.

Once we have a broad consensus, formed outside of
existing structures, we can move the existing
structures, they are vulnerable to this, *all of
them.* Only the most totally repressive of
governments could succeed in preventing it,
actually. China is repressive, but not that
repressive. And neither is the United States. In
someplace like Iraq, it is possible that the
government could and would have acted to suppress
the independent communication of citizens;
however, we really don't know. Do remember that
such an organization, in such a place, would be
organized, ostensibly and, as I've said, actually
at least at the beginning, to promote official
goals. In China, for example, official policy
favors environmental protection and is strongly against graft.

The fact is that *any* excuse for organizing that
could bring in large numbers of people could
establish the organization necessary to produce
the kind of social change I'm talking about.

But the combination that would make this happen
has never been tried: FA and DP. Demoex
implemented DP, and it worked, but Demoex did not
understand that in order to create what they said
they wanted, they had to bring in everyone. Yet
Demoex took controversial positions and promoted
them. They elected a representative to serve on
the city council who pledged to vote the way that
they decided. It was quite easy to predict that
this would alienate and offend the other members
of the city council, who were faced with a robot
rather than with a human being whom they could
negotiate and deliberate with. Suppose, instead,
that Demoex had *not* attempted to control a city
council member, through an internet-meeting
political party, but they had formed a DP Free
Association, the purpose of which would be to
*advise* the city council with regard to citizen
views, and also to communicate back to the
citizen whatever the council wanted to present to
them. In other words, what if the relationship
between this different Demoex and the council had
remained totally voluntary, without any effort to
exert, *directly*, political power. In this case,
every member of the council would have a strong
interest in communicating and cooperating with
this Demoex. If not, I could predict that the
next election would reverse that situation. In
turn, the Demoex structure would be a means
whereby the voters would receive advice about how
to vote (which does happen with the actual
Demoex). Note that the organization itself,
unless a position happens to enjoy complete
unanimity, won't be giving voting advice. But the
individual proxies can and will advise those they represent as to how to vote.

This is typical of FAs. They do not collect and
wield power directly. But they can mobilize
tremendous power if they can find consensus or
something close to it. (If there is, for example,
a small majority in favor of some position and
almost as many members, directly or indirectly,
against that position, because the two caucuses
virtually formed around this issue remain free to
act independently, and if both sides care about
the issue, they, acting independently, will
cancel each other out. But if they can find
consensus, they can exert power additively. This
is why FA/DP organizations would tend to generate
consensus, even with highly controversial issues:
consensus is more powerful. *Much* more powerful.

Consensus is not nearly as elusive as most think.
It seems elusive because the mechanisms to seek
it generally don't exist. And existing political
structures profit from division. Those who have
worked in organizations using consensus process,
though, know that consensus can often be found,
when the process is undertaken to find it. And
this brings us to why the organizations we need
must be efficient, and why they must be able to
form small working groups, why having a large
assembly with hundreds of members won't cut the
mustard. There are not hundreds of positions on
any issue; therefore there is far too much
redundancy in large assemblies and thus highly
inefficient communication process.

However, once again, I applaud and encourage all
efforts to apply proxy democracy, even more
delegable proxy, whether or not the organizations
contain all the elements that I would see as
necessary for maximum success. We will all
benefit from the experience gained in these
organizations; I only caution readers that the
failure of such organizations will not mean that,
for example, delegable proxy won't work, because
failures may be due to other elements present. It
will be important for us to understand *why*
these experiments either failed or were less
successful than they might have been.

Note that one of the more subtle dangers is that
an organization is mildly successful. Those who
are the effective acting oligarchy in the
organization -- there is always such -- will tend
to think that the success if due to their efforts
and that continued success depends on keeping
things more or less the same, the only thing that
needs to be done is to convince the bulk of the
members that they should be more active. But
success can exist *in spite* of what those
involved think is bringing it. To me, the key questions would be:

1. Is the organization bleeding members
("whiners," "people who will never be satisfied,"
"people who don't really support our goals," as
they will often be described), or, alternatively,
does it have large numbers of relatively inactive
members who are not clearly represented and
connected with the decision-making process?

2. Are new ideas rapidly considered and openly
accepted or rejected, such that the person
bringing the idea knows, quickly, *why* it was
rejected, if it was rejected? Many organizations
develop black holes for new ideas. Frustrated
members often don't make any noise, they just
fall silent or go away with no fuss. If you don't
try to find out why they have become inactive, they won't tell you.

3. Does the group make decisions without the
consent of all or nearly all of its members? I
don't mean "active participation," that is
actually not only impossible in large groups but
undesirable, but rather that there is a general
and on-going consent to the existing power relationships in the organization.

As an example of organizational dysfunction,
consider Americans for Approval Voting, or
Citizens for Approval Voting, and its primary
communication mechanism, the yahoogroups list.
The list is controlled by one person, though I
think it may be owned by another. I was
blacklisted from posting to that list, without
due process, and certainly without any
consultation of the membership. To my knowledge,
I'm the *only* person who has ever been
blacklisted who wasn't a spammer. And what did I
do? I attempted to suggest that those who support
Approval Voting organize as an FA/DP
organization. And I did not agree to stop when I
was asked to stop posting "irrelevancies." I
didn't refuse, I just didn't agree to stop. I
never violated any rule, at least not any written
rules. I was not abusive and not truly
irrelevant, and, when, earlier, the moderator had
asked me, on the list, to stop writing about
irrelevancies, several members spoke up and said
they thought it was relevant, and the moderator
basically said, "Never mind." But, of course,
next time the moderator did not bring it up on
the list, the moderator made the demand directly
of me, and when I didn't immediately agree, the
moderator did not threaten banning me, rather the
moderator simply banned me, period. And even more
arguably irrelevant material continued to appear on the list, just not from me.

Had Approval Voting been a critical issue for me,
there was plenty I could have done. But it was
not, and I have, as readers of this list know,
other fish to fry. I did just a little so that if
there was any substantial dissenting faction in
the AV community, it would have a place to go
(hence av.beyondpolitics.org, a wiki), and it
appears there was none. However, and this is my
real point: the list traffic dwindled to nearly
nothing and has continued that way for a long
time. I actually did support Approval Voting, and
have continued to promote it elsewhere, even
though AV is little more than a short-term
band-aid on the face of majoritarian democracy.

Healthy organizations will welcome dissent and
will channel it into its truly constructive
purpose: deliberation and the development of
consensus. Most of us, and most political
activists especially, want to organize and
communicate with people of like mind, which is quite limiting.