[EM] proxy representation with "dissenting votes"

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Feb 28 05:59:43 PST 2006

At 04:43 PM 2/26/2006, Jiri Räsänen wrote:
>Dear James Green-Armytage,
>
>Well, I'd like to make a distinction first. What you propose is a
>system of _direct_representation_.
>Direct representation means a system where a representative uses the
>amounts of votes that he/she has got in the election.

It's such a simple idea that it would be a wonder
if it had never occurred to anyone before.

>The first time the idea of direct representation appeared over a
>century ago. (I have the facts somewhere.)

The fact is that "direct representation" is quite
equivalent to proxy representation, which is
*common*. Proxy representation is a common-law
right: whenever one has a property interest, one
has the right, unless specifically prohibited, to
name someone as an attorney-in-fact, to exercise
whatever powers one would enjoy oneself. For
efficiency, shareholders would often share a
proxy. Thus, as Mikael Nordfors has pointed out,
proxy democracy is what rich people do; his
efforts have been directed toward extending the
benefits of this to people who are not otherwise
rich. His term for the proxy is "advisor," which
I like because it emphasizes the downward
communication aspect of the proxy, something
often neglected in delegable proxy proposals, but
which I consider critical. Delegable proxy is not
merely a voting system. There is no need for it
as a voting system alone, because, for a long
time, direct voting has been possible even in
large organizations, and the internet has made
direct voting completely easy and practical.

But who has time to participate in the many
organizations that might potentially allow direct
voting? What happens in nearly all organizations
which are simple direct democracies without using
proxy representation is what I call the
"dictatorship of the active." Extremists of all
kinds have used the procedures of direct
democracies to take over organizations, simply by
being organized and dedicated; in a union, for
example, most of the members have families and
responsibilities that would keep them from
attending meetings, especially long and contentious ones.

The proxy is ideally *not* a rubber-stamp for the
opinions of the represented member. The proxy,
instead, stands in for the member, functioning as
a synapse between the activity of the member and
the activity of the organization. I have seen
direct democratic organizations that prohibited
proxy voting, on the argument that the
represented members weren't at the meeting to
hear the debate, therefore their votes would be
uninformed. And this, of course, is a
misunderstanding of what a proxy is. While a
proxy might agree with the represented member to
vote in a certain way at an upcoming meeting, the
proxy *is* at the meeting and, by the rules of
the organization, ought to be (and legally is
allowed to) make his or her own decision on the
spot. You choose as proxy someone you trust to do that on your behalf.

Synapses are not merely relay stations for nerve
impulses. They *filter* information, generally.
They filter it in both directions. Not every
nerve impulse from the periphery is passed on to
the center, and not every movement or impulse
from the center is passed on to the periphery.
Fortunately. We could not function if they were.

What is new is not proxy representation, or
"direct representation," but *delegable* proxy.
The automatic delegation of proxies, where A -> B
and B -> C, in the absence of both A and B,
becomes A+B -> C, should make proxy
representation possible on a much larger scale
than would otherwise be functional. I know of
only one effort, so far, that actually attempted
to implement this, Demoex in Sweden, and they
abandoned it for technical reasons -- buggy
software --; yet delegable proxy does not require
computers at all. It simply requires a list of
current proxy assignments. Maintaining and
sorting that list and extracting vote results
from it is made easier with computers, but it
does not require computers or the internet, these merely will facilitate it.

>The idea has been proposed by a several individuals later on. At the
>moment, there are at least two organisations proposing direct
>representation. One is The Finnish Citizens' Power Association, and the
>other is the Center for Collaborative Democracy (
>http://www.democracy2000.org )

I'm out of the loop as far as the Finnish
organization, probably because of language.
However, what I think has been missed by many
delegable proxy proponents is that in the absence
of experience with DP, most people aren't going
to support it, no matter how good the idea looks
to those who study it. Most people won't study
it. I've spent four or five years now trying to
promote the study of the idea, so I know. Of
course, I'm just me. If there were more people
involved working on it, and they were working
together, more would become interested. Society
already has its filters, to protect it from being inundated with wild schemes.

This is the paradox: if DP already were being
used, it would be easy to obtain appropriate
consideration of ideas like DP. This is because
DP would create an network of filters, where the
information is filtered through relationships of
trust. So if I have an idea, I know exactly whom
to discuss it with, someone I trust, who will
either pass it on or explain to me, *personally*,
why he or she is not doing so. And then I can
either accept this and understand why, or I can
look for someone else willing to put up with my wild ideas.

This analysis, again, will lead one to understand
why the mass solication of proxies is
non-functional, it is merely an attempt to
exercise unwarranted power. And we see such a
thing happening right here, with the solicitation
of my proxy be someone whom I don't know and who,
apparently, does not know me. And some will give
that proxy, and this will mean *nothing*. Only if
I check out the work of this person and decide,
yes, I trust this person, and this person will be
available to me -- neither of which I now know,
would it be wise and functional for me to entrust
him with my proxy. This is *not* in any way a
criticism of this person, and I applaud his
effort, within the structure presented to him.
But that structure, as far as I have seen, is not
going to make a major impact, in my opinion, for
a series of reasons that I will discuss when I have time to continue this.

On the other hand, *any* effort to implement DP
will further the cause, for even failures will
generate experience and an understanding of how
to avoid the problems that crop up. So we should
watch this experiment, and I might even join, but
I won't bypass the standard procedure in order to
give added voting power to someone I don't know.
Rather, I will join and participate as allowed. I
won't *run* for proxy, which I consider an
abhorrent practice! -- and this is exactly what
is suggested in what I've seen from the
organization. "anyone can run." Yes. But not a
very bright idea. As they say, same old same old.