[EM] proxy representation with "dissenting votes"

Jiri Räsänen jiri.rasanen at kolumbus.fi
Sun Feb 26 13:43:54 PST 2006

Dear James Green-Armytage,

You asked about what on your proposal has been proposed before.

Well, I'd like to make a distinction first. What you propose is a
system of _direct_representation_.
Direct representation means a system where a representative uses the
amounts of votes that he/she has got in the election.

The first time the idea of direct representation appeared over a
century ago. (I have the facts somewhere.)

The idea has been proposed by a several individuals later on. At the
moment, there are at least two organisations proposing direct
representation. One is The Finnish Citizens' Power Association, and the
other is the Center for Collaborative Democracy (
http://www.democracy2000.org )

There is also a proxy-voting decision-making software under GNU. (
http://www.vivarto.com/tiki-index.php )

All the best,

Jiri Räsänen