[EM] IRV-like Virtual districts

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Thu Dec 21 04:44:26 PST 2006

 -----Original Message-----
 From: jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk

 > You appear to be selecting a voting system that will produce a political

> result that you would find acceptable.  Surely the first requirement of

> the voting system should be to elect a House that is representative of

> those who vote, even if you or I would not like that representative

> result?

I was thinking as part of a 2 House system.  The lower House would be a PR

method and the upper House would be centerists.

Another option would be to split the people between the districts randomly.

However, then there is even less chance they would know who the candidates

are.

A final option would be that there is no transfers at all.  It would be up

to the voter to make sure they try not to vote in a district that has lots of

voters voting in it.  In fact, that rule could lead to better stability.

Polls leading up to the election could be interesting.  Not only would the

party's support matter, but also, what the estimated result in each district

would be.  A very popular candidate might lose because everyone assumed that

he would walk victory.

There is also the problem of what is a 'centerist'.

> > The quota is set at the the Hare quota.

> I haven't a clue what effect the Hare quota might have in your proposed

> system, but you should be aware that the Hare quota when used in STV-PR

> can produce perverse results, giving more representation to the smaller

> group of voters.

I think it would be OK here.  The reason is so that everyone's vote is

used in some district.  In any case, the other aspects of the scheme would

likely overwhelm the problem.

     Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"