[EM] IRV-like Virtual districts

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 06:16:14 PST 2006

> raphfrk at netscape.net > Sent: 21 December 2006 12:44
> > From: jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
> > You appear to be selecting a voting system that will produce a
political
> > result that you would find acceptable.  Surely the first requirement
of
> > the voting system should be to elect a House that is representative
of
> > those who vote, even if you or I would not like that representative
> > result?
>
> I was thinking as part of a 2 House system.  The lower House would be
a PR
> method and the upper House would be centerists.

Surely it doesn't matter whether you are electing a single chamber
legislature or two-chamber legislature?  Should the over-riding
requirement not be for both chambers, e.g. House and Senate, to be
properly representative of those who have voted in the two elections?
We may organise the electorates into different "districts" for the two
elections, as in Australia, or have different candidate
"constituencies", as in Ireland, but a properly representative result is
what is required rather than some predefined political outcome that is
acceptable to you or to me.

James Gilmour