[EM] IRV-like Virtual districts

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 04:18:54 PST 2006

> raphfrk at netscape.net> Sent: 21 December 2006 11:34
>
> Electing a 'centerist' House normally requires districts.

You appear to be selecting a voting system that will produce a political
result that you would find acceptable.  Surely the first requirement of
the voting system should be to elect a House that is representative of
those who vote, even if you or I would not like that representative
result?

> The quota is set at the the Hare quota.

I haven't a clue what effect the Hare quota might have in your proposed
system, but you should be aware that the Hare quota when used in STV-PR
can produce perverse results, giving more representation to the smaller
group of voters.

James Gilmour