[EM] Better-worded definition of ERBucklin(whole)

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Sat Sep 24 09:09:54 PDT 2005

That was my understanding of Bucklin. I'm not sure exactly what "empty
slots" means in this context.

I don't thank of it as "rounds", by the way. I just say "assign for each
alternative the best rank for which a majority (= the integer part of
#voters/2 + 1) and order the alternatives by rank. If there is a tie (more
than one alternative has majority support at rank r) the one with the
highest number of votes for ranks 1,2,...r is chosen. If there is still a
tie ....

and there there are some options. In this case a "pure" approach might be to
use the ballots not involved in the tie to use the same process with rank
r+1 defined as 1st, r+2 as 2nd, etc. but only for the tied alternatives.

Tied alternatives at the best rank is a very fast and easy way to find the
Smith set.

  _____

From: election-methods-electorama.com-bounces at electorama.com
[mailto:election-methods-electorama.com-bounces at electorama.com] On Behalf Of
Adam Tarr

At such time as one or more candidates have a vote-total greater than the
number of voters,

Is this not supposed to be number of voters/2, plus 1?  If not, why?  It
seems like a first-place majority candidate should win.