[EM] RE: Bucklin

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 23 19:09:15 PDT 2005

Forest,

--- "Simmons, Forest " <simmonfo at up.edu> a écrit :
> I like the modified ER Bucklin Whole version that Kevin and Mike have been considering.

I want to say: Although it's interesting that ERBW satisfies FBC and Majority,
I think it differentiates among adjacent ranks so little that strategically,
few would be worse off using Approval.

> I have two suggestions that might make it more viable as a public proposal:
>
> 1.  Keep the number of possible distinct ranks down to seven or eight, for ballot simplicity.

I think a problem with this is that voters then need to be able to leave slots
empty, and we clearly have a ratings method, which makes it harder to say which
properties are satisfied.

> 2.  Allow a special mark "+" to be made next to the favorite candidate in the top slot.
>
> Call this method ER Bucklin Whole Plus or ERBWP.
>
> The plus is there so that the voters who equal rank top for strategic purposes can still show
> extra moral support for their favorite, and for resolving ties.
>
> In case of a tie, a random ballot is drawn.  The candidate with plus next to his name on that
> ballot gets to pick which of the tied candidates is elected.
>
> If  two candidates have plus next to their names, then a coin is flipped to see which of the two
> candidates gets to pick from among the tied candidates.

It would be more clone-independent if we narrowed the field down to these two
candidates, and then drew further ballots to pick between them.

> This gives voters the expressive power that the voters want, along with a tiny bit of extra
> instrumental power for their favorite, without destroying the FBC property of  Kevin's ER
> Bucklin Whole.
>
> Another version that would give even more meaning to the plus: if k is the first round in which
> there is a candidate with more than fifty percent, then consider all candidates with more than
> 50% in round k as tied, and use the "plus" tie breaking method described above.
>
> Would this version preserve the FBC?

I can't see any problem with using Random Ballot to break Bucklin ties. For
that matter, I can't see any problem with breaking ties based on the total number
of "plus" votes.

Kevin Venzke