[EM] RE: Election-methods Digest, Vol 15, Issue 37

Abd ulRahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Sep 21 21:50:23 PDT 2005

At 04:45 PM 9/21/2005, Kevin Venzke wrote:

> > It is unclear why Mr. Venzke's presence would alter the result
> > unfavorably, unless he opens his mouth and nastiness comes out in
> > such a way as to alter people's perception of the otherwise-winner.
>
>Let's say I'm candidate B and I receive 33 votes, so that at the convention
>these preferences are represented:
>
>33 A>B>C
>33 B>C>A
>33 C>A>B
>
>In the absence of additional information, we have to suppose that the odds
>of each candidate winning are equal. But perhaps my supporters have a
>sentiment something like: B>C>>>>>>>>>>>A so that they'd rather not risk
>electing A. In that case, they are better off giving their 33 votes to
>the C>A>B candidate.

Ah, I thought he meant that the result would be unfavorable to *him*.
My understanding of the role of the proxy is that the proxy is not
charged with making the decisions the voter would make, necessarily,
but rather the decisions that the *proxy* makes based on his or her
own best judgement. That's the task.

I would assume, however, that if all the supporters of B truly hated
A, then B would not be giving his votes to A! Instead, B could give
his votes to C and C would win handily. Or A could give his votes to
B, would be unlikely to give them to C. The preference orders are
pretty strange, by the way. I would not expect to see orders like
this, unless the preferences are about pure personality, not issues.

A voters second choice is B, B voters last choice is A
B voters second choice is C, C voters last choice is B
C voters second choice is A, A voters last choice is C

There is no top-2 approval winner in this election, it's a tie.

Condorcet analysis: