[EM] Re: Summed Ranks (SR)

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 20:05:49 PDT 2005

Kevin Venzke wrote:
> > Isn't that equivalent to Mike's Summed Ranks?  If there are k
> > candidates, then it gives each candidate k - 1 points minus the
> > number of points SR gives that candidate.
>
> No, but it probably depends on how you treat truncation. In order
> to satisfy the plurality criterion I would suggest that all
> candidates in last place receive 0 points. That way, under FBC-
> and plurality-satisfying Borda, you can't hurt the worse
> frontrunner by raising minor candidates above him.

Ah, I see.  That's a much better system, then.  In fact, it's
strategically equivalent to Approval.  I think it's my new favorite
ranked-ballot system.

(Or maybe slightly better, spread out the different voted rank
levels evenly over a range.  For example, A=B>C>D>E=F=G>H=I would
give A and B 100 points, C 75, D 50, E, F and G 25 and H and I 0.)

--
Rob LeGrand, psephologist
rob at approvalvoting.org
Citizens for Approval Voting