[EM] Re: Summed Ranks (SR)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 20 19:41:56 PDT 2005

Rob,

--- Rob LeGrand <honky1998 at yahoo.com> a écrit :
> Kevin Venzke wrote:
> > As far as rank methods, you could also use ER-Bucklin(whole) or
> > one version of Borda. Suppose the ballot is A=B>C=D=E>F>G.
> >
> > The FBC-friendly Borda variant counts 6 points to both A and B, 4
> > points to each of CDE, 1 point to F, and zero to G.
>
> Isn't that equivalent to Mike's Summed Ranks?  If there are k
> candidates, then it gives each candidate k - 1 points minus the
> number of points SR gives that candidate.

No, but it probably depends on how you treat truncation. In order to satisfy
the plurality criterion I would suggest that all candidates in last place
receive 0 points. That way, under FBC- and plurality-satisfying Borda, you
can't hurt the worse frontrunner by raising minor candidates above him.

Kevin Venzke