[EM] Re: Summed Ranks (SR)

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 17:39:11 PDT 2005

Kevin Venzke wrote:
> As far as rank methods, you could also use ER-Bucklin(whole) or
> one version of Borda. Suppose the ballot is A=B>C=D=E>F>G.
>
> The FBC-friendly Borda variant counts 6 points to both A and B, 4
> points to each of CDE, 1 point to F, and zero to G.

Isn't that equivalent to Mike's Summed Ranks?  If there are k
candidates, then it gives each candidate k - 1 points minus the
number of points SR gives that candidate.

My objection to SR is that it rewards ranking your less-favored
frontrunner last, even if insincere, so frontrunners would be
generally disadvantaged and dark horses would tend to be elected.
Coombs and antiplurality have a similar effect.  It's the opposite
effect of that for which plurality and IRV are infamous, and it's
worse because it leads to extreme instability.

--
Rob LeGrand, psephologist
rob at approvalvoting.org
Citizens for Approval Voting