[EM] alternative Smith?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon Oct 31 20:38:59 PST 2005

I wrote:
>a mixture of the Smith rule and the IRV rule:
>1. Eliminate non-members of the Smith set.
>2. If >1 candidate remains, eliminate the plurality loser.
>3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until one candidate remains.

I think that this rule can be re-stated more succinctly as follows:
Repeatedly eliminate the plurality loser until only one candidate is in
the Smith set.

If this is right, it invites a comparison with DMC/RAV, which repeatedly
eliminates the approval loser until only one candidate is in the Smith set.

Am I correct?

my best,
James