[EM] MDD,ER-Bucklin (whole)

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Sun Oct 23 07:19:08 PDT 2005

Paul Kislanko wrote:

>>40 A=B>D
>>35 D>B
>>25 C>D
>>
>>Now candidate D wins, with 100 votes in the second round."
>>

>No. 40 A=B>D is still 40 votes for D no higher than third. So in the second
>round D has 60 votes.

In  Bucklin proper, yes, but in the  "just go down one slot per
'Bucklin' move" method on those 40 ballots A and B are
both in the top slot and D is in the second slot.  The method referred
to doesn't (in a sense) take any notice of how many
candidates are in each slot.

That method  is "in round x  each ballot just gives a whole vote to
every candidate it has in slot x, until at the end of a round
one or more candidates has tally of votes greater than half the total
number of valid ballots, at  which point elect the candidate
with the highest tally."

That describes the method that Kevin's example was referring to, and (I
assume) also what  Forest was suggesting.

Chris  Benham