[EM] compulsory voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Oct 16 19:07:17 PDT 2005

Another way to address this:

It is more labor (though some note more defense against counters changing
votes) to make all the rotten lemons share the bottom rank.

Can even randomly rank the lemons in separate ranks at the bottom - but
this implies preference of some of them over the others.

DWK

Stephane Rouillon wrote:

> I am against compulsory voting and compulsory full ranking.
>
> Not going to vote is the only way left to voters that want to say
> all candidates are bad, except when a None option is provided
> (which should always be the case so we could know the
> level of approbation from the electorate in regard to the result).
>
> Truncation is an appropriate response that allows as much as candidates
> that want to run without making voters lose their time in useless
> comparisons
> in their eye.  It allows to maximize both the representation, by giving
> more
> choices, and voter social utility because a certain fraction (it depends
> of
> every case) find sometime more useful to spend time on someting else
> than filling a ballot and some other voters don't.  Everyone (lazy
> voter,
> compelled voter, losing from the start candidate and potential winner)
> is free to maximize its personal goal within the respect of the freedom
> of others.
>
> If antenna time during the election was provided proportional to
> official surveys
> and the election system would be an immune to cloning method (PR for
> multiple winners),
> we could finally reach a real democratic process...
>
> Steph

                  If you want peace, work for justice.