[EM] "scored condorcet", etc

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Tue Nov 22 16:06:42 PST 2005

> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:22:00 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Rob Brown
> Subject: Re: [EM] "scored condorcet", etc

> I would probably want to do some normalization with the scores so that
> higher scores are better, and so that the score of the lowest
> candidate
> is not zero unless he really got zero votes....but that is fairly
> trivial.

I don't know what you mean by normalisation here, but it usually means
some scaling up or down (i.e. multiplication or division).  What I would
do is probably apply the following formula to get each candidate's
score.

Candidate's Score = Total No. of Ballots - Max wv against Candidate

If there is a Condorcet Winner, then I think it would be easiest to make
that candidate's "Max wv against" equal 0.  This means that it is best
to assume that a pairwise result of 0-0 between two candidates is a loss
for both candidates.  Therefore, it would be best if any tie between two
candidates is a loss for both the candidates.

If you think that this is a bit kludgy, then I suppose you could use
MMPO (MinMax Pairwise Opposition).  This is basically the same as MinMax
(wv) except that you "ignore" whether a pairwise result is a win or
loss.  You just look at the number of pairwise 'votes' that oppose a
candidate.

As discussed quite recently, MMPO is FBC compliant and basically elects
the candidate who the voters oppose the least.  On the other hand, it
can elect a candidate who the voters support the least.  (I hope I got
this paragraph right).

Thanks,
Gervase.