[EM] Public elections are the ones that matter.

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Nov 15 14:30:08 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:15:53 -0500 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> At 11:31 PM 11/13/2005, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>

>>One important detail is NEED for voter secrecy in public elections -
>>and little if any need for such for corporations
>>

> The "need" for secrecy in public elections is, in my view, not
> established. In a small town, for example, there may be far less at
> stake than in a corporate election, at least in terms of assets.
> Coercion and extortion are already illegal, in both cases. It seems
> that this restriction is sufficient in the case of corporate
> elections, why would it not be in public elections?

Have you lived, always, where needed secrecy was maintained?

Have you avoided serious thought about the secrecy problem?

I remember, many years ago, being a member of the Grange, a farmers'
organization:
      Most voting was open.
      Approval/rejection of proposed new members was SECRET - I think
three NOs was enough - and those voting NO could care MUCH about secrecy.

In public elections, you have to do them all alike - while it only happens
occasionally that secrecy matters (actually, there can be classes of
voting with different rules):
      Near a tie, so each solicited vote counts.
      Somebody cares MUCH.

Coercion and extortion are interesting labels - when they happen those
doing do not volunteer to admit it - but may be prepared to punish
complainers.

Back to corporations - ONLY those who choose to, get involved in such.

> However, it would be simple enough to have, at least, a periodic
> secret-ballot confirmation of what might routinely be done publicly.
>
> Besides, what I'm recommending, starting with small towns, is an
> independent FA/DP (Free Association with Delegable Proxy)
> organization tasked with improving communication among citizens and
> others interested in the town, and between the town and its citizens
> and voters. This organization, by its nature, would be public in its
> proxy structure. It would, I presume, sometimes communicate with its
> members who are registered voters in the town as to how to vote. As a
> Free Association, the association itself would not make a
> recommendation; rather it would report the results of polls, any
> recommendations made would be the personal recommendation of the
> proxy to the one who gave the proxy; but because of the structure, if
> the poll showed broad consensus, and if the poll had not been
> corrupted, the recommendations would probably be generally considered
> trustworthy.

Unless I miss something, FA/DP is voluntary membership.  Also, there could
be classes of election topics that it is forbidden to vote on.

> [...]
> possible at Town Meeting, a proxy structure existing in the town,
> where people effectively designate proxies to represent them to the
> town, and where it was clear public record as to who represented how
> many voters, would create a means for these people to participate;
> simply by deciding whom to trust they will have contributed to the process.
>
> And, come the next tax override that has been discussed broadly
> through the DP structure, and I've received a phone call from my
> proxy suggesting that I vote for it, that override will pass. If it
> was not going to pass, it wouldn't have gotten that far....
>
> As it is, nobody called me to suggest I vote for the override, and I
> wasn't personally at the meetings where it was discussed and decided.
> Too busy writing on the internet, I suppose.... So I abstained. And
> many others either did the same, or voted against it, as many will do
> on tax issues if they don't know better.
>
> I've seen quite a few examples where the town would have benefited
> from better communication back and forth with the entire citizenry.
> It already happens, to some degree, hearings are held, etc. But,
> quite simply, it could be better.
>

>>Proxies are important for corporations.  Delegable proxies are worth
>>thought for public elections - but need CAREFUL THOUGHT to avoid
>>making more trouble than they are worth.
>>

> Indeed. I'm not proposing the use of delegable proxy, per se, in
> public elections, until there is more experience with it in other
> applications. Asset Voting, however, would be just fine, I think;
> used for proportional representation, it would create a peer assembly
> where every representative has one vote, which is what we are
> accustomed to. Asset Voting is quite close to delegable proxy; the
> form I favor I call FAAV, Fractional Approval Asset Voting, where one
> votes for one or more candidates, as in Approval, except that the
> votes are divided among the recipients in the form 1/N, where N is
> the number of "approved" candidates.
>
> Because of the revoting process, where candidates may reassign the
> votes they received to create winners who did not win ab initio, no
> votes are wasted (except by neglect or intransigency on the part of
> candidates). Dividing the votes in ordinary approval voting would be
> unjust, but it works in asset.
>

>>We can choose whether to be active in the corporate world.
>>

> Yes. This is one reason why corporations mostly do function as share
> democracies. If they didn't, many investors would, quite rightfully,
> not trust them and would move their investments elsewhere.
>

>>We have NO CHOICE as to whether we live in the public world and
>>under its rules.
>>

> It's not that black and white. We can choose, to some degree, where
> to live, and thus what government has jurisdiction for us. But, yes,
> this is the basic difference between a voluntary association and a
> government. Governments assert authority over us whether or not we consent.

Of course, if we attend to the details properly, we assert control over
government.

> Whether or not that is necessary is debatable. The position that
> authority without consent is illegitimate is essentially libertarian.
> I personally abstain from that debate. The fact is that we have
> government without consent, to a large degree in some ways, and in
> other ways, we do generally consent. I'd rather not attempt to
> drastically change the government itself, the rule of law, the other
> structures that are currently functioning, for better or worse,
> because I see a way around it. The existing structures are
> manipulable by special interests. Many consider this a problem! --
> but I see it as a solution. When there are opposing special
> interests, the bigger one tends to win, doesn't it? And what is the
> largest special interest group?
>
> The people.
>
> The problem is not that the system is manipulable by special
> interests, the problem is that the most important "special" interest
> is not organized, whereas smaller ones are. We tend to think of the
> government itself as the organization of the people, but that isn't
> quite correct. The government is an instrument of power, which is
> wielded according to the interests of those who control it. The
> people only indirectly control the government, and not terribly
> effectively. What is needed is an organization or organizations which
> organize the power of the people *voluntarily*, for the purpose of
> managing government. The actual exercise of the management power
> would remain with the people individually, through their power to
> vote as well as their power to contribute to causes. Moveon.org has
> half of this right. What Moveon.org is missing is democratic process
> within its own structure.
>
> It also is organized around a particular political bias. (That I
> happen to personally agree with much of that bias is not relevant, it
> is still bias.) But if it created an open structure that just
> happened to start with progressives as members, it would be seeding
> the creation of something much broader than what it currently is. It
> could essentially be creating the government of the government.
>
> Without removing any of the existing safeguards.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.