[EM] Some answers to "1-person-1-vote"

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Nov 10 17:57:27 PST 2005

At 11:27 AM 11/10/2005, Scott Ritchie wrote:
>Calling cumulative voting a violation of one person one vote is quite
>misleading.  Everyone gets the same number of points in a cumulative
>voting election - just because these points are sometimes called
>"votes" (as also happens in a borda count) doesn't mean they actually
>are.

*If* everyone gets the same number of points, yes. Merely calling the
points votes does not change anything. *However*, my understanding is
that in cumulative voting in share corporations, every shareholder
gets as many votes as they own shares. Thus, as I wrote, this is "one
share, one vote," not "one person, one vote."

One Person One Vote means, essentially, that everyone has the same
share of voting power. That votes are divided fractionally (as they
would be, for example, in FAAV, Fractional Approval Asset Voting), or
are a fixed number of points, is not relevant.

The flaw in what Mr. Ritchie wrote was the assumption that, in
cumulative voting, every voter gets the same number of votes. With
that assumption, *of course* cumulative voting does not violate the
1p1v principle. But cumulative voting does not necessarily have that
restriction, as with share corporation elections.

Indeed, neither would proxy voting, if we consider the proxies as "voters."

Note that in FAAV, their original voters get one vote total; they may
cast more than one "vote" on the ballot, but it is then normalized so
that the total vote per ballot is one. In the revoting that is the
distribution of "assets," the new voters -- the "candidates" in the
original election -- cast as many votes as they received. That asset
election is, again, not one person, one vote, unless by "person" we
mean the original voters.