[EM] Beatpath and SSD aren't manipulable. "Manipulable" is barking up the

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Wed Nov 9 10:35:49 PST 2005

James,

46: A>B
44: B>C (sincere is B or B>A)
10: C

In DMC, if the A>B voters only approve A then sincere B and B>A
preferrers cannot successfully Bury A.

Until it was recently pointed out to me, I hadn't noticed that electing A
in this example is a failure of Minimal Defense (MD).

This inclines me to stop rating MD compliance as desirable. I certainly think
that it is redundant for methods that meet Definite Majority (i.e elect from the
DM set).

A method that meets all three of Condorcet,MD and  (what I labelled)
"Weak Burial Resistance" (WBR), (which says that a Condorcet faction of more than
1/3 of the voters can't be successfully Buried) must elect C in the example.

Chris Benham