[EM] Re: WV methods fail FBC with 3 candidates

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat May 14 07:33:06 PDT 2005

Mike,

--- MIKE OSSIPOFF <nkklrp at hotmail.com> a écrit:
> Thanks for settling that question. Of course I've just found your posting
> and haven't had the opportunity to thoroughly check th example out yet, but
> you probably have, and it's probably a genuine FBC failure example for WV.

I definitely invite you (and anyone) to check it out thoroughly. There could
be a mistake.

> How did you find that example?

I guessed how the failure might occur, and then wrote a computer simulation
to find such a failure.

> I'd  thought that I'd demonstrated for myself
> that it was impossible for a 3-candidate WV FBC failure example to exist.
> Probably the example is genune and there was an error in my demonstration.
> Well, it's probably that I was only looking at one way of failing, and it
> can happen in a way different from what had occurred to me.

I hate to bring this up again, but this is why I consider FBC hard to
use. I have a new Condorcet-like method which I *believe* satisfies FBC,
but I can only prove some things that are implied by FBC compliance; I
can't prove FBC compliance directly.

Kevin Venzke